65mm pigeon cartridges

Eley First 65mm, fibre wad, 1oz 7 1/2 shot. They are marketed as a clay cartridge but don't know the difference between clay or real pigeons. c. £40 for 250.

I have just phoned around a couple of local dealers in search of 65mm pigeon loads. Pigeon loads which all appear to be around £100 per 1,000 than game loads. To all appearances they do not exist everything for pigeon is now 70mm. Anyone on PW know better?

Blackpowder

Yes it would be handy if those colours were still in use, for one thing safety and a second as we all try to pick up our fired shells easily seen. Looking for a green shell among grass, not easy, a black shell among leaf litter very difficult while a white shell in snow impossible.

Footnote SENIOR MOMENT I see I had a similar thread to this earlier this year.

Blackpowder

Thanks to all for replies, I am currently shooting game with Gamebore Super High Bird at 65mm 28gm which I find pretty good when the barrels are pointed in the right direction. As per my original post most pigeon cartridges are £100 a 1,000 cheaper than game loads. My complaint is that cartridge manufacturers are not giving the owners of classic guns a choice of inexpensive cartridges for vermin control. There must be thousands of guns in use with 2 1/2 inch chambers, not all their owners are suffientely well off to shoot pigeons with game loads.

Blackpowder

Fiochi do a 28 gram fibre wad at £213/ 1000. I used some through my 6lbs 2ozs S x S on game last season, a touch dirty but they did the job OK with low recoil. Oh, they were in 6 shot size, which I believe equates to English 5.5's. When I am able to once again use a 12 bore, I will get some more.

• 3 weeks later...