Multi Tool

Chris Bb

I'm getting into the habit of always carrying my Leatherman in a pouch on my belt otherwise, whenever I need it, it's somewhere else!

However, it has locking knife blades and is, therefore, an offensive weapon if I wear it outside my land and without good reason.

As I'd like to carry a multi tool all the time or, at least, not worry when I go out and forget to remove it, are there any quality multi tools made without locking blades? A folding knife blade is a very useful tool but does not need to lock for my purposes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry all manner of blades and potentially offensive tools on a daily basis both in and out of work, as I've got sick and tired of leaving one or the other at home/work due to being very diligent as to not carrying one in public. All I tend to do now is ensure I leave any I have on me in my vehicle before entering a shop or whatever, even though I'm aware I can quite legally do so if I have a reason to have it on me.

I really don't care. I have an axe, two claw hammers, various Stanley knives, a selection of chisels, some sharp punches, two sheath knives, a sledge hammer, two flat bars, two pairs of scissors and a crowbar amongst other things.

They stay in my vehicle at all times unless they're on me personally.

I watched a cop show the other evening where they searched a lorry and found a knife. The cop specifically mention it being illegal to have a fixed blade knife on hand in a vehicle.

A vehicle in a public place such as a highway or car park is In itself a public place so an offensive weapon in a vehicle is the same as carrying it. However the law is clear, lawful authority or reasonable excuse. A leather man with a locking blade is an offensive weapon but unless your waving it around wearing a hoodie in a dark street whilst drinking white lightning your unlikely to be bothered that much by the police.

Can't you disable the locking mechanism?

It can be done without too much difficulty but will leave you with "floppy" blades. Non locking folding knife blades rest against a spring which is lacking in lock knives/tools which rely on the locking mechanism to hold the blade rigid.

You'd have thought Leatherman & Gerber would have thought of this by now, certainly for the UK market at least.

No sensible copper is going to nick you for having a leather man in your car they may use it as an excuse if you're being difficult

The damn things were designed to be kept in a car for emergency repairs by s bloke named leatherman

Exactly, the police could use other legislation in relation to points and blades if they wished to deal with a non locking blade but it's all about how you present to the police. In full tweed your unlikely to have issues.

Best advice, have a reasonable reason to have it, I have one in the car it's big boys rules

I carry it on the odd walk round a park etc so is not very often at all. So your saying there isn't a single chance some idiot lets his aggressive dog off its lead? I know it's a small chance but It has happened and I'd rather have a little peace of mind that I'd have something to hopefully stop it. For a start I wouldn't grab the knife if a yob was mouthing off etc and I wouldn't go looking for trouble would I but in the event of something happening especially with the world the way it is then I'm gonna carry on.

I really don't care. I have an axe, two claw hammers, various Stanley knives, a selection of chisels, some sharp punches, two sheath knives, a sledge hammer, two flat bars, two pairs of scissors and a crowbar amongst other things.

Are you a burglar?

I would say it's a tool and in the same way as of a carpenter walked into a shop with his work belt on the police wouldn't care I wouldn't think they would pay you any undue interest with a multi tool on your belt. In the wrong hands anything is a weapon and as long as you act responsibly you shouldn't ever have an issue. However if you walked into the shop screaming 'this is a stick' up you'd undoubtedly get done for armed robbery.

A fixed or locking blade has good reason if it's to stop it closing up on your fingers in use. What you then need is good reason to carry it in the first place if it locks and is over the prescribed length

Makes me laugh daft laws like this as most tradesmen have a Stanley knife and the damage I have seen these things do is pretty horrific.

I don't carry more than a Swiss army type thing in the truck these days but I do have a folding locking saw about 9" long blade

Good reason exists for both it being in the cab and the fact it locks

I suspect the cops have better things to occupy them than bringing cases that will fail at the first hurdle

+1.

If we wanted to harm anyone we have far easier tools to do a better job, from the vehicles we drive to the contents of our cabinet. I have things in my pickup that could injure,maim or kill, much like any other contents of your grandmother's disability car. If pc plod challenged me for carrying an offensive weapon regarding a blade i would ask if he would be interested in the contents of the rifle slip, with a bit of luck a little common sense should be forthcoming.