Multi Tool

Chris Bb

The law is really clear on this (you can look this up btw) and there ia no point making a mountain out of a mole hill on this issue.

Unless it's an offensive weapon per se and a multi tool is not, then it falls under either the intended/adapted clause of an offensive weapon (you need to be using it or intending to use it as an offensive weapon) or sec 139 (points and blades/ pointed or bladed article and broken scissors or a scaple will do easily).

However s139 and the previous act has exceptions and get outs. Education/work/religion and good cause/reasonable excuse.

The first three Really require you to be at work/education or actively taking part in your religious duties or travelling to and from (not shopping or stopping at the pub in between or having it in your pocket over the weekend before work on Monday ).

Good cause/reasonable excuse are just that and it's for you to prove you have it.

If the mags believe you then you had it,if they don't then you didn't.

It can't be any simpler than that.

Cops wearing leather men at work normally have them for cutting seat belts or people who have hung themselves down or fixing doors that have been kicked in etc. The list is endess and the "work" exception comes into play so no sticky wicket there; just like armed cops arresting people for firearms offences when carrying sub machines guns and hand guns etc etc.

As a general rule...if you carry a knife for protection (even from a hyperthetical rapide dog in the park) it's an offensive weapon regardless of how long the balde ia or if it locks (intended comes into play here) and your breaking the law. I'd suggest that stops.

My experience,for what's it's worth, is that people who carry knives to "protect" themselves get stabbed or stab another and no one needs that.

The rabid dog isn't a person though is it, so the intent bit doesn't apply.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the law of averages there has to be one somewhere.

We are in a strange world matey...I had an MOT failure a year or so back on my now 18 year old motor...it was a smelly tree hanging from the rear view mirror. That was the only thing it failed on.

We always see it, a driver who is banned or uninsured doing 30 but once that cop gets on his tail it turns into a 200 mph chase. Why not just let it go and get the guy at home later. They know where the cars live.

I rest me case me'lud.

Strange garage that didn't take down the magic tree for you. Maybe they wanted another 40 quid.

However as you say we've all seen it and some of us will see that you need to prove whoever it was behind the wheel at the time.

The vehicles owner means nothing nor does where it gets parked. You need the driver there and then.

What if later they knock over someone and killed them because you couldn't be bothered to stop them (I'll get hem later we know where the car is parked). That's an offence and as a lazy cop you'd rightly being going to prison for failure to do your duty in a public office.

as the cps and the courts view Id parades the way they do the only way to "catch" them is to do err do exactly that and catch the at the time.

I feel your pain howevery the law is what it is and it's not getting changed any time soon.

The law is really clear on this (you can look this up btw) and there ia no point making a mountain out of a mole hill on this issue.

Unless it's an offensive weapon per se and a multi tool is not, then it falls under either the intended/adapted clause of an offensive weapon (you need to be using it or intending to use it as an offensive weapon) or sec 139 (points and blades/ pointed or bladed article and broken scissors or a scaple will do easily).

However s139 and the previous act has exceptions and get outs. Education/work/religion and good cause/reasonable excuse.

The first three Really require you to be at work/education or actively taking part in your religious duties or travelling to and from (not shopping or stopping at the pub in between or having it in your pocket over the weekend before work on Monday ).

Good cause/reasonable excuse are just that and it's for you to prove you have it.

If the mags believe you then you had it,if they don't then you didn't.

It can't be any simpler than that.

Cops wearing leather men at work normally have them for cutting seat belts or people who have hung themselves down or fixing doors that have been kicked in etc. The list is endess and the "work" exception comes into play so no sticky wicket there; just like armed cops arresting people for firearms offences when carrying sub machines guns and hand guns etc etc.

As a general rule...if you carry a knife for protection (even from a hyperthetical rapide dog in the park) it's an offensive weapon regardless of how long the balde ia or if it locks (intended comes into play here) and your breaking the law. I'd suggest that stops.

My experience,for what's it's worth, is that people who carry knives to "protect" themselves get stabbed or stab another and no one needs that.

I still don't care. My vehicle always contains the tools I use for work and I often carry a knife of one description or another. I will however, always leave the knife in my locked vehicle if I call into a shop on my way to shoot or back. It's all about perceived acceptance, and while it may be acceptable to have on your person a machette while camping, it isn't acceptable to have the same on your person while doing the weekly shop at Morrisons.

I don't carry anything for self defence and if i did I certainly wouldn't be telling anyone, but your last line, repeated many times by many people always reminds me of a programme I watched some time ago regarding feuding youths and adults. A detective inspector involved with the Trident (?) Operation was hosting a community meeting in a local hall and asked of a 14 year old youth why he felt the need to carry a knife for self defence and was told 'because you wont be there when I need you.' There wasn't a lot he could say to that really.

The rabid dog isn't a person though is it, so the intent bit doesn't apply.

Quite right as the intent is to injure a person however the good cause/reasonable excuse comes into play and you'd be hard pressed for a judge or jury to buy the line of carrying a knife to protect yourself fron a dog that only exist in your head. On the same logic we could all carry samurai swords free from the fear of prosecution as they're might be a nasty dog in the park and you might need it to protect yourself.

However a dog is property and you would commit criminal damage of you killed or injured it so therefore you'd be carrying items or an item to commit criminal damage. Another offence.

There's over 18000 laws. Most are well tested.

I still don't care. My vehicle always contains the tools I use for work and I often carry a knife of one description or another. I will however, always leave the knife in my locked vehicle if I call into a shop on my way to shoot or back. It's all about perceived acceptance, and while it may be acceptable to have on your person a machette while camping, it isn't acceptable to have the same on your person while doing the weekly shop at Morrisons.

I don't carry anything for self defence and if i did I certainly wouldn't be telling anyone, but your last line, repeated many times by many people always reminds me of a programme I watched some time ago regarding feuding youths and adults. A detective inspector involved with the Trident (?) Operation was hosting a community meeting in a local hall and asked of a 14 year old youth why he felt the need to carry a knife for self defence and was told 'because you wont be there when I need you.' There wasn't a lot he could say to that really.

Not disagreeing with you Scully. Just trying to stop the fictions copper from taking the legally held multi tool from the law abiding shooter before it gets out of hand any more.

there's always a what if or how about and that's my 2 pence work.

For what it's worth; when being interviewed for my SGC grant by my Local firearms license officer I specifically asked him about legalities of me carrying my 4" fixed blade I used for game / rough shooting.

His answer was that in Scotland any knife is an offensive weapon unless u have good reason to have it in a public place.

He advise that I should leave knife in the car boot when travelling to / from my shoot grounds. And when I stop off at Tescos on my way home to buy after shoot beers I cannot take said knife into the shops with me, no matter if it was still on my belt having been legitimately / leagally carried at the shoot 1 hour prior.

This seemed pretty clear to me. And I stick by his advice as I feel it's a privilege to have my SGC and would want a offensive weapon charge / conviction to jeopardise it. That's me erring on the side of caution I guess.

In respect to carrying for protection; I will tell you my life experience so far; once upon a time I would have sympathise with poster who feels the need to carry a knife. Believe me as a young man I previously carried one for self protection. I never used it despite being assaulted in the street / being threaten with violence on occasion as a late teen.

I have also seen a knife pulled on a friend during street fight too when in my teens. Fortunately this was done for show I believe, but all it takes is for one party to grab or wrestle and this can have serious implications to either persons life. Had my friend been armed I think one of them, would be dead or injured- I.e it would have only served to escalate things.

As a man now in his 30's, who also has a young daughter btw; I now see how stupid my youthful actions were. And how easily it could have resulted In serious injury to me or the aggressor resulting in conviction, probably a prison sentence and me not having a family / the career I have today, and no SGC!

My reasoning for carrying a knife in my youth is a common one, in fact in Glasgow young men carry knifes as they feel they need it because they know others carry them too, this mixed with alchahol abused results in substantial numbers of stabbing and sometimes deaths, on most weekends; so much so that Glasgow was about 10-15 years ago know as the murder capital of Western Europe (per head of population). However Things are much better nowadays I believe.

Btw I'm not suggesting any posters fall in the aforementioned type of knife carriers. I only mention the above experiences to perhaps explain why police Scotland are (understandably) not tolerant of public knife carrying.

If you want to really protect your self take up Krav Maga. Keys pens and other legal items can be used In very effective ways that a knife could be.

However a dog is property and you would commit criminal damage of you killed or injured it so therefore you'd be carrying items or an item to commit criminal damage. Another offence.

There's over 18000 laws. Most are well tested.

I suspect the use of a knife against an animal, in self defence, or the defence of your child, would see that one off.

Again though, tongue firmly in cheek.

They don't need to. You can carry one as long as you have good reason which you do.

So, back to where I started. Until last month I was a working seafarer and, as such and when in uniform, a multitool was part of my working kit, both at work and when traveling to/from.

Now I'm retired and, whilst I still regard my multitool as "part of me", I cannot really show a legitimate reason for carrying it at all times. Screwdrivers, pliers, scissors, bottle openers OK but not locking knife blade; silly really but that's the law as I see it. I'll just have to start to remember to take it out of its pouch when leaving the house. I do carry a smaller one in my shooting bag but will argue that that one is a shooting tool, also it lives in the boot when I'm not shooting. I do own legal pocket knives but don't see any need for them on their own so don't carry them at any time.

Edited by Chris Bb

I'm getting into the habit of always carrying my Leatherman in a pouch on my belt otherwise, whenever I need it, it's somewhere else!

However, it has locking knife blades and is, therefore, an offensive weapon if I wear it outside my land and without good reason.

As I'd like to carry a multi tool all the time or, at least, not worry when I go out and forget to remove it, are there any quality multi tools made without locking blades? A folding knife blade is a very useful tool but does not need to lock for my purposes.

I was told by a gun shop up Newcastle that you can carry a multi tool even though it has a lol blade as its a multi tool.he said this is the way around the law for carrying a knife for gutting your rabbits if you are out in the motor.i carry a gerber all the time even when I've spoke to the police and they have never said a thing at the end of the day it's a multi tool not a knife. Edited by lurchers

I was told by a gun shop up Newcastle that you can carry a multi tool even though it has a lol blade as its a multi tool.he said this is the way around the law for carrying a knife for gutting your rabbits if you are out in the motor.i carry a gerber all the time even when I've spoke to the police and they have never said a thing at the end of the day it's a multi tool not a knife.

Affraid this is incorrect, if its a locking blade it is not legal to carry without 'good reason' (although gutting rabbits would be a good reason).

Taking advise from a policeman.

A number of years ago we went to London on a Bank Holiday to visit the museums. We parked, in Kensington, on a meter which did not show the conditions of parking so we asked a mounted cop if parking was FREE on bank holidays to which he replied YES. We returned to find a £30 ticket not only on our car but ALL the cars on meters in the road.

So in short don't trust one.

Taking advise from a policeman.

A number of years ago we went to London on a Bank Holiday to visit the museums. We parked, in Kensington, on a meter which did not show the conditions of parking so we asked a mounted cop if parking was FREE on bank holidays to which he replied YES. We returned to find a £30 ticket not only on our car but ALL the cars on meters in the road.

So in short don't trust one.

Bit of a sweeping statment, besides maybe it was a traffic warden who gave you a ticket when he shouldnt, did you appeal it.