WHERE ARE ALL THE PIGEONS

mikee

I don't shoot that many at this time of year. I shoot more in late winter. I concentrate a bit more on wildfowl through the winter.

Ok as you say you don't shoot many during the winter. But can you tell me what part of my post about pigeons moving south when the weather is bad up north is "simply not true".

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok as you say you don't shoot many during the winter. But can you tell me what part of my post about pigeons moving south when the weather is bad up north is "simply not true".a

Maybe pigeons do move South when there is a cold spell, although this is not easily proven.

My point was to say that it is still worth going out, regardless. You make it sound like there is no chance of anyone getting a bag.

Also, I'm not saying that shooting in the winter is easy. I remarked on another post that January is the only month that I haven't had a 100 plus bag.

Some pigeon shooters don't look for pigeons and or don't see pigeons in the winter.

I look every day, sometimes I see them sometimes I don't. Even if I don't set up to decoy I will stand on a flight line in suitable windy weather.

There is sport to be had for the majority of those who really know what they are doing and who have pigeons in their area.

:whistling:

Yet again.......... awful

shot 3 but saw very large flocks...... a frustrating day. :/

I walked the flocks off, set up and shot a few that returned but that was then it.......

I really should take up a different sport

lol days like that make red letter days all the more rewarding, I`ve got hundreds sat in the trees over a very old stubble field and not one of them are interested in dropping in on it even when the crows are pecking about, let a shot off to see the score with them hundreds got on the wing quick fly over then back to the trees sounds good but I know the land and seen this for years now knowing if I did which I have many times set up I`d be lucky to hit a brace, little **** know the score, I hate pigeons :whistling:

Edited by cooooper1

was out watching the hunt on a very large commercial shoot and I saw the most woodpigeons i have ever seen in a flock, several thousand. I did not see exactly what they got up from but guessing due to the nature of the place I would say they were on a game cover.

There's good numbers on a few commercial shoots round here, should be some roosting in February if they hang around.

I would agree they are on cover strips and grain that keepers are scattering, still plenty of ivy berries too!

Not many on rape yet.

Some pigeon shooters don't look for pigeons and or don't see pigeons in the winter.

I look every day, sometimes I see them sometimes I don't. Even if I don't set up to decoy I will stand on a flight line in suitable windy weather.

There is sport to be had for the majority of those who really know what they are doing and who have pigeons in their area.

This may well be true but I have around 400 acres to shoot over and if pigeons aren't there then I can't shoot.

I spend a lot of time driving around the area for work and always watch out for activity, and I see lots in hedgerows, verges, and in woods but none yet on any crops other than maze cover.

so how many do you shoot during the winter on rape?

I don't decoy anymore, instead I shoot woods and mainly flightlines, picking them off between feeding fields. Some cracking sport to be had that way when decoys don't seem as effective at this time of the year. Not massive numbers like ones you hear on here, but average 15-20 most times we go and usually pick up a lot of mixed blacks along the way. Most importantly its nice to be out having go in the fresh air away from xxxx TV.

This may well be true but I have around 400 acres to shoot over and if pigeons aren't there then I can't shoot.

I spend a lot of time driving around the area for work and always watch out for activity, and I see lots in hedgerows, verges, and in woods but none yet on any crops other than maze cover.

In that case, I would be out looking for a bit more land to shoot.

I don't decoy anymore, instead I shoot woods and mainly flightlines, picking them off between feeding fields. Some cracking sport to be had that way when decoys don't seem as effective at this time of the year. Not massive numbers like ones you hear on here, but average 15-20 most times we go and usually pick up a lot of mixed blacks along the way. Most importantly its nice to be out having go in the fresh air away from xxxx TV.

If you are getting enjoyment from shooting 10 or 20 pigeons during the winter then good luck to you, and yes you can have some great sport shooting birds on flight lines any time of year, like you I stopped chasing them on winter rape (decoying) about 10 years ago.

I've been watching several hundred feeding along side a good number of crows on a field of maize stubble just across the road from my house in Hodnet for the last week.

No-one shooting them, in fact it seems that no-one has permission on any of the land close by as I've never heard any shots in the last 18mths.

Waste of a good opportunity!

GH

In that case, I would be out looking for a bit more land to shoot.

I will this year as none of my permissions are growing rape so I am keeping my eyes open for opportunities, but we don't have the massive swathes of arable land here that you do, but lots and lots of wooded areas that quickly soak up the birds. The birds I do find seem to move quickly so getting permission to shoot a one-off day isn't that easy. I just stick to rabbits until later in the year, that way I keep my regular landowners happy.

Lots of pigeons on rape and sat in surrounding trees in Shropshire (Newport area). Had a ride round three farms yesterday dinnertime. All had good numbers on them. Walked three fields off to see numbers....each had about 500 .... last field had about 500, they flew off to far end of field ....couldn't be bothered to move them off so let off a crow banger ..... about another 500 lifted from surrounding trees and at least another 500 lifted off from a field behind me. Not much value in decoying now but good to see such numbers at start of the year ..... should have some good sessions later in the year.

Not in any rush to get out unless some wind about....forecast windy Friday morning but heavy rain as well ..... will get out for an early session if windy but dry.