WHERE ARE ALL THE PIGEONS

mikee

Seen a small flock today. About 100 or so crossing the irish sea from Scotland. Perhaps moving ahead of colder weather?

I hope they come my way soon. Five of us headed into the woods last night for the first proper roost shoot of the year. We got 2 birds between us. I didn't even see one.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shot over osr today had 12 but decoying was hard going as per usual . tried bigger pat small pat but seemed to jink at about 50 yards moved flapper futher out to 1 swooper in no good, but made an interesting day. will try magnet next time but not a fan we will see

crack on keeps the farmer happy & me shooting

At least it sounds as though you had a few showing interest. Round here, if you put them off by any means (setting-up, walking, even driving up and stopping), that's the last you see of them for a few hours.

Try putting the pattern behind you and shoot them on the way in if they won't decoy properly. However, it sounds like they are decoy-shy or hide-shy or maybe they see you raise the gun to shoot at them, which of course you have to do. People on this forum say (quite rightly) thay it's movement they see, but you can't shoot them without raising a gun and swinging through....

Seen hundreds and hundreds today on osr near kidlington business park. Lucky xxxxxxxx if anyone's got perm round there. Seen about 3 birds on mine Swindon way today

They are only lucky if the pigeons come back and they can shoot some, I dare say there are lots of fields with pigeons on but whether they are shoot-able is another question.

They are only lucky if the pigeons come back and they can shoot some, I dare say there are lots of fields with pigeons on but whether they are shoot-able is another question.

Exactly. There are literally thousands on rape I can shoot. Getting them to cooperate at the moment is a different story. Give it a month or so and I might shoot a few...

i have been watching a flock of 1500 for weeks on a block of rape with a good wood one side and another at the far end and another 400acre wood 500 yds away. we went for a look monday at 9.30 and the wood on the side was heaving with pigeons just sitting hunched up already had a feed we went away and came back at 3.30 expecting to see the rape heaving with them but they were still in the trees and about 100 on the ground we sat and watched and at 4.15 they came out of the trees in 100s to feed from both woods 1500 we were watching had grown to about 2500. they were very spooky and lifting off all the time at 4.40 most lifted off in one go and went back to the big wood 500 yds away to roost. they havent been shot at since october. we got the all clear yesterday pheasants finished so having a go friday dont really know how to approach it for best result. any suggestions guys. especially pc great ( respect.) if your reading. 3 very long fields side by side at least 750 yds long the middle field has a wood that they sit in most of the day the far end has a wood that spans the middle and the out side field ( where to get)

Exactly. There are literally thousands on rape I can shoot. Getting them to cooperate at the moment is a different story. Give it a month or so and I might shoot a few...

Just saying I never get to see any on my own perm so ment I'd love to have a go if I was seeing hundreds alone thousands bet your farmers happy if there's thousands on your perm and your not shooting. For me its about having day out with dad regardless of numbers shot, obviously would love a massive bag every time but winter decoying like u said they most likely won't come bk

Set up before dawn last Friday. Had a bit of wind and rain and plenty of birds came into surrounding trees but none into the pattern. Played around with the set up but nothing pulled them in. Shot one at 40 yards passing and another after I moved into line of trees along one boundary ...... and then they were gone. Plenty of fields getting hit hard by large flocks now but not much I can do until the flocks break up.

Just saying I never get to see any on my own perm so ment I'd love to have a go if I was seeing hundreds alone thousands bet your farmers happy if there's thousands on your perm and your not shooting. For me its about having day out with dad regardless of numbers shot, obviously would love a massive bag every time but winter decoying like u said they most likely won't come bk

I saw thousands spread over a few farms that I shoot. The pigeons haven't done much damage yet, so there is no real problem. I think it is far better to let pigeons totally settle into fields and then hit them hard, rather than having several attempts with little success. There is no point me being on a field if I'm not killing pigeons.

finally there seem to be a lot more birds in my area, I will be having a go on Friday on a piece of the new land I got a few weeks ago

there have been good numbers on a field in the middle of the village for a few weeks but there is no way to get at them without upsetting the whole village

Mikee