BSA .22 with silencer help needed.

12boreblue

Hi Guys

I am havi g zn issue with a BSA .22 , air rifle, I am not sure what mkdel it is, either the lightning or meteor?

I lent it to my brother andca yesr later have got it back. Issue is at 20 yds it won't penetrate a plastic carton and I czn't get the silencer off. I need a new spring and any advice forca good supplier and how to keep it under 12ft/lb, also silencer has a grub screw on the lower end of barrel and a grooved ring on the silencer end. It has lots of scratches etc so want to tidy up, Can't get silencer off if I tske out grub screw, need I do more? And to finish my telescopic sites are all dented...brothers eh!

Thanks in advance.

You need to apply a little heat where the silencer meets the barrel, a good way is to stand at the kitchen hob unit and wearing a pair of gloves keep applying heat till it twists off. Changing the spring isn't too hard with a little experience and some basic tools but it takes a bit of knowhow to clean the components and get the right lubricants in the right places and having access to a chrono helps no end in keeping things legal.

It may be best to get a local gunsmith to strip and service the gun because it certainly sounds as though a seal or two needs replacing.

If it's a factory fit, it may have been fitted with rosin, Rosin is a powder which provides superb grip (athletes use it) and it melts at 100 degrees C. So Hamster is absolutely correct; get some heat on it. I've had to use a blow torch (gently!) on these to get them off.

If its been off before, there may be a "burr" under the grub screw which is holding it in place.

I'd offer to fix it too, but I'm just a little too far away.

Good luck.