Longthorne O/U

Gordon R

Thank you Gordon, as a bespoke gun, we are able to change most aspects of the gun to suit your taste, this includes the forend metalwork, Whitebridges, yes we are going to be at The British Shooting Show so please call and say 'hello' and by all means handle one of the guns.

Wabbitbosher and Welshwarriior, I'd like a vintage Bentley too :) !! (besides a Longthorne gun).

As a footnote, we have lots happening at Longthorne and are hoping to launch a Boxlock later in the year

Hi longthorn

Very impressive and you answered most of my questions in your post

Couple more if you don't mind

The gape to load the bottom barrel as I find most ou can be a bit tight or spring back ( you know what I mean )

Approximately how long from order (deposit) to completion

Do you have a shop / ground to handle try gun on completion

And can there be a engraving choice

PM if you would prefer

I'd go for the blower Bentley 😋

All the best

Of

Just out of interest, I'd love to know how the exterior shape of the barrels is formed.

With a conventional gun, where tubes are made singly, it is easy to see how any desired shape can be produced. (Easy to see how, not necessarily easy to do, because things can go very wrong when machining thin-walled tube on a lathe or cylindrical grinder)

But it must be much more complex with the Longthorne. The barrel profile looks similar to a conventional gun -- walls thickest at the breech, thinnest at the muzzle. Not something that can be achieved by a simple slab milling set-up.

My engineering work was all with conventional machine tools (capstan lathe, milling machine, etc), but I am guessing that Longthorne might be using spark erosion or some other more modern technique.

Messrs Longthorne, is there anything you can tell us about production methods, without revealing too many trade secrets?

Interesting to hear the theory that CAD/CAM "produces a level of accuracy unachievable by any human being"- having worked in the industry for quite a few years and having manufactured a great deal of high precision parts I find the statement typical of an office worker rather than an engineer. CNC's offer a variety of advantages over a manual lathe-speed control (inc constant surface speed) and the ability to deliver the tool to the workpiece much faster and safer than, say, a Capstan, but the ultimate precision of any given component depends entirely on the operator and his/her skills as an engineer.

I would say the CNC strongest points is its ability to work consistently and accurately giving consisted accurate parts

I would not little the word Engineer to the even the most skilled machine operator which can be to the dighest degree but a Engineer is able to solve far higher skills like designing the CNC machine

I think this boxlock news is quite interesting, I think there is a huge hole in the market for a British gun the eell price mark, I'd much rather buy British than an import, and to buy direct and have that contact with the manufacturer and possibly have a bit more of a personalised gun than an off the shelf import!

I noticed that longthorne were moving to a bigger facility and I didn't wonder if a more affordable volume product would be on the market soon! Exciting news!

• 6 years later...