AYA No.3 and No.4

Big Al

3s non ejector MOST 4s are.......is what I think?never seen a 3 ejector.........

I have an AYA brochure in front of me and it describes a No3 as a boxlock non ejector and the No4 as a boxlock ejector.

Thanks guys. I haven't seen a No3 as an ejector either. I've just had a thought - it is possible that the listers on the websites have got it wrong.

Back to my original thinking then. No3 boxlock non-ejector. No4 boxlock ejector. As per the sales catalogue. Thanks again for the replies. Happy Christmas.

Edited by Big Al

I think that it`ll be down to people listing/describing what they have for sale incorrectly tbh.There is a constant stream of wrongly identified AYA guns on the web.

You're right there, most people get the no3 mixed up with a yeoman or a no4 mixed up with a yeoman ejector, the yeomans have pins on the action frame where the 3&4 are put together with screws and lock screws

I have two number 4's a std and a best quality , they are great guns

You're right there, most people get the no3 mixed up with a yeoman or a no4 mixed up with a yeoman ejector, the yeomans have pins on the action frame where the 3&4 are put together with screws and lock screws

Thanks for that. I have been offered an AYA as a a knock about gun. Non ejector and case coloured. I was assuming after the earlier help above that it is a No3 or yeoman. It sounds like a No3 then as it is screwed together.

Lovely gun UD. I hope to have a match of it soon.

Edited by Big Al

• 4 years later...

I have an AYA, sold to me as a No. 3, but beside having screws and lock screws it also has pins in the action. It's a non-ejector. It is not marked 'Yeoman.' I have a Yeoman that is stamped 'Yeoman.'

Did AYA make a No. 3 woth pins and screws?

To further confuse things, AYA made models 400 and 400E which were non ejector and ejector respectively? I believe that they were made for the Spanish market prior to the massive UK imports commencing in the 60s and were the pre-cursor to the Nos.3 & 4.

These can be identified by having shoulders to the action and are often advertised as either a No.3 or 4 depending whether ejector or non ejector. I picked up a model 400 in my favourite gauge 16, a few years ago and it's a great little gun.

Not sure, but does the No.3 have disc set strikers, as my model 400 has ?

OB

Yeoman came in both non ejector and ejector versions and as far as I know were virtually always marked YEOMAN.  I think all had 'drive in pins' rather than 'screws' (also sometimes confusingly called 'pins').  My Yeoman (no longer with me, but 1970s vintage) had disc set strikers I think.

Even more confusingly there was an over/under model called a Yeoman ........

I have a feeling that over the years No 3 and No 4 may have been simplified a bit to save costs and possibly 'pins' replaced 'screws' in some, but I'm guessing.  If you have an AyA, the factory are very helpful with records (tell them the serial number).  A very helpful lady called Carmen replied by return, but I hear she has now retired.

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yeoman came in both non ejector and ejector versions and as far as I know were virtually always marked YEOMAN.  I think all had 'drive in pins' rather than 'screws' (also sometimes confusingly called 'pins').  My Yeoman (no longer with me, but 1970s vintage) had disc set strikers I think.

Even more confusingly there was an over/under model called a Yeoman ........

I have a feeling that over the years No 3 and No 4 may have been simplified a bit to save costs and possibly 'pins' replaced 'screws' in some, but I'm guessing.  If you have an AyA, the factory are very helpful with records (tell them the serial number).  A very helpful lady called Carmen replied by return, but I hear she has now retired.

I`ve had No3 and 4 with pins rather than screws,both had a rounded off ramp type safety piece and concave ribs,both were older guns with serial nos in the teens,they also handled a little better than the later ones!Hth

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There are so many variations ......... then on top of that - there re some 'built to order' ones that come on the market. 

There are indeed ,they`ve been making them for a long time and like most things ,have evolved through time.There`s an Elderkin Game Special in the classifieds that was an interesting variation on the #4.

1 minute ago, matone said:

There`s an Elderkin Game Special in the classifieds that was an interesting variation on the #4.

Sportarm also do an "English Game" which is a sidelock presumably based on the No 2 (or No 1).  No 1 has different barrel steel, which makes the barrels a bit lighter.