Raspberry Gin for the Boxing Day Shoot

TIGHTCHOKE

7DiaW

I take a pound of raspberries, cover them in cheap gin and blitz them with a food blender.

They are then put in to bottles and placed in the dark for a couple of weeks to let the juice mix with the gin.

When the colour has developed and all the flavour has left the mush (2 to 3 weeks) I run it through a funnel with a coffee filter paper to separate the bits.

You end up with a white mush and highly flavoured red gin.

I then make up a simple syrup from sugar and water and use it to dilute the gin to taste.

You don't want a heavy mix, rather a tasty little lifter to pass around friends at the shoot.

Happy Christmas

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

• 2 weeks later...

7DiaW

I take a pound of raspberries, cover them in cheap gin and blitz them with a food blender.

They are then put in to bottles and placed in the dark for a couple of weeks to let the juice mix with the gin.

When the colour has developed and all the flavour has left the mush (2 to 3 weeks) I run it through a funnel with a coffee filter paper to separate the bits.

You end up with a white mush and highly flavoured red gin.

I then make up a simple syrup from sugar and water and use it to dilute the gin to taste.

You don't want a heavy mix, rather a tasty little lifter to pass around friends at the shoot.

Happy Christmas

sounds like a goer, i am definately going to have a try at making some, can you tell me what filter paper you used, i have used vin papers in the past but it takes an age to filter. many thanks for the info and atd 7diaw

I just use coffee filter papers in a funnel and let it run out at whatever pace it likes.

Each time I go to make a coffee I add a little more to keep things going.

Good luck

I trust that you are testing some of the filtrate for quality at the same time. :)

Edited by amateur

Great idea. I have just made some with black currants but now i will try logan barries (i dont gave rasberries). Interesting that you put them through the blender i have only been putting my fruit in the gin and letting it dilute through osmosis.

Saves all the waiting! :good:

I nearly bought some more fruit today, only stopped when realised I have no more space to store it all! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I do a lot of these drinks. Loganberries, Raspberries, blackcurrants and so on. You can use vodka an gin. I also let the fruit infuse, and keep them in the bottle. They eventually turn white, and taste is very nice! Don't add any sugar tho; some people do, but last time I was given one with sugar, I had a fantastic hangover the following day!