Driving on fields

fielddweller

Guys

Just had a run in with a farmer on one my perms about driving over a crop.To get to this field you drive down a track 1/4 mile and can't turn round then into a very long osr field where I drove straight down the wheelings.

Unloaded then turned round and drove 3/4 of the way back,leaving my car in the field as deterrent.

When I had finished I reversed back ,loaded up and away forward and home.

This all happened last week but met farmer today who was moaning about lampers/dog men driving over his field,so he was going to barricade the track.He said that it wouldn't affect me ( I nearly choked)I explained what I do when shooting this field and he was not Happy to the point I must not drive down there again.I reiterated that I only drive on the wheelings but no joy,so I told him that I am no longer going to shoot that field.After our chat I went and had a look and there are no other tracks only mine,so no lampers only me.

Now this might end up with me losing this perm but so be it.Most of my other Osr fields at the moment are by roads /track so this isn't a problem.

So my question is do you drive over fields if possible or just park up and carry?

Thanks

Fielddweller

Only drive on the tracks. Even when i can drive on the field I try to avoid it unless its bone dry. If the farmers take me out they often tare up the fields, one even drives through standing wheat and maize but its their privilege. I can understand how you feel and hope you caught him on an off day.

Appears I might be out of order.

I can't see what damage is done driving on wheelings after all it won't be harvested

Fielddweller

Increased soil compaction, rutting them up for a start. I've been known to have a go at the boss for driving wheelings in his truck on some fields I've planted. We try to meet minimise traffic on the fields, so sprayer and fert spreader only until harvest!

Increased soil compaction, rutting them up for a start. I've been known to have a go at the boss for driving wheelings in his truck on some fields I've planted. We try to meet minimise traffic on the fields, so sprayer and fert spreader only until harvest!

I take your point

Cheers

Fielddweller

Edited by fielddweller

I've bought a small quad now and the farmers seem more laid back about this light little thing than a truck but I still don't think I could drive over standing OSR in it, just wouldn't seem right. If the fields ever dry up I shall be blasting over the wheat lamping rabbits on it though. Some farmers can be a bit touchy as well as hypocritical though some times and seem to like to see you struggle but that's their prerogative and we can take them or leave them as we please.

You live and learn, not everyone understands farming but as mat pointed out a lot of farms are going towards minimum traffic systems. The point to think about is that especially in a winter as wet at this you are going to make a hell of a mess and trucks aren't as wide as tractors, so you are sliding about running on the crops.

Never drive on a field unless you've asked the farmer. Anyone driving on fields around here risks getting the firing squad. Even in harvest never do it unless you've asked. Compaction can happen even in the summer. I'm not trying to be unpleasant but I'd have thought anyone that goes shooting would have known to not run on fields. The farmer in question will be v annoyed if he's anything like those around here.

Never drive on a field unless you've asked the farmer. Anyone driving on fields around here risks getting the firing squad. Even in harvest never do it unless you've asked. Compaction can happen even in the summer. I'm not trying to be unpleasant but I'd have thought anyone that goes shooting would have known to not run on fields. The farmer in question will be v annoyed if he's anything like those around here.

Two of my other perms allow me drive on wheelings,obviously if it's wet land then no

Fielddweller

I would never dream of driving down the tram lines on any crop , in the summer I always ask if I am alright driving over the stubbles as this day and age they get paid for leaving conservation areas , beetle banks and headlands and the last thing I want to do is upset the ones I rely on for the shooting in the first place .

Don't just assume you can drive where you like, if you must drive down the tram lines always ask first, and make sure the farmer knows which field you are talking about.

Good advice i would say, even grass track/headlands are often conservation strips or as marsh man says beetle banks. The farmer will get paid to grow these strips and they must not be driven on!

Always ask.