Driving on fields

fielddweller

Nearly all of the comments on this thread are the total opposite to most of the comments that have been posted in previous threads about getting kit to hides and about barrows ect in other threads. I personally carry my kit in general terms and it has been minimized to carry but it can be a struggle on hot days with gun,carts,decoys,nets, water sticks,flapper, food , >> for me and dog and on the return the bag to be got back to the car. sometimes It has taken tree trips to retrieve it all. There used to be a saying that if the mud stuck to your boots then you shouldn't be out on it. not much chance in this weather. farmers are all different and some have a permanent thorn up their rear anyway.

Well the good lord moves in mysterious ways.

Went for a few beers this lunch round the local villages that aren't flooded (wife driving as she doesn't really drink) any how bumped into the brother of the farmer who gave me a bo****king yesterday.Now this guy owns half of said farm and would have no problem with me driving on the wheelings in drier times.

How did you leave it with our kid he asks? Ok but I told him I am not shooting that field again,could see him counting lost pennies,when he says can't you come in from the meadow/ grazing at the far end it's got a track right up to ours?No says me the gate is always locked.

Next thing he's on the phone to the cattle farmer explaining his problems and could I (me)drive up his track,no problem he said tell him to come to the yard for a key.(happy days).conversations continues does he (me) shoot crows? My pal replies he shoots owt good cause we've loads of crows in the yard.

Now this farm is about 6miles away so nice and close and I've got another perm and can keep old farmer happy.

However there was down side to all this I ended up buying him two pints,nearly broke my heart

Fielddweller

Well the good lord moves in mysterious ways.

Went for a few beers this lunch round the local villages that aren't flooded (wife driving as she doesn't really drink) any how bumped into the brother of the farmer who gave me a bo****king yesterday.Now this guy owns half of said farm and would have no problem with me driving on the wheelings in drier times.

How did you leave it with our kid he asks? Ok but I told him I am not shooting that field again,could see him counting lost pennies,when he says can't you come in from the meadow/ grazing at the far end it's got a track right up to ours?No says me the gate is always locked.

Next thing he's on the phone to the cattle farmer explaining his problems and could I (me)drive up his track,no problem he said tell him to come to the yard for a key.(happy days).conversations continues does he (me) shoot crows? My pal replies he shoots owt good cause we've loads of crows in the yard.

Now this farm is about 6miles away so nice and close and I've got another perm and can keep old farmer happy.

However there was down side to all this I ended up buying him two pints,nearly broke my heart

Fielddweller

So I presume from the above post you have learnt that it pays to talk/ask before you go driving where you like, you now have more shooting from the neighbouring farmer, as far as the other brother telling you its ok to drive up the tramlines when its not so wet I would be very weary of causing conflict between them.

Just one other point don't be tempted to drive on the neighbouring farmers grass field, why do you think they bring the cattle in during the winter months, stick to the track.

If in doubt ask, it does not cost you anything and you will find the more you talk to the farmer the better your relationship will become, and you never know he might just recommend you to other farmers.

Only drive on 2 of mine, and only headlands and when they are dry, (headlands after mowing and not regular due to the conservation )

Other farms are walk only, unless I have been told that I can drive over stubble. Last year I was questioned if I had driven onto a field and churned it up, The farmer and I went to have a look, he realised that 2 feet deep ditches dug out of the field could not have been made by my pickup, It would have buried it. They were actually made by the contract sprayer, who had a rollicking

drive only a couple of tracks that is allowed, its walk the rest and understandable, respect the farmers land and wishes and keep everyone happy, i know of a lad who lost a local perm due to ripping round in his vehicle and damaging crop and track, doesnt do none of us any good. good riddance to individuals like that.

I abide by what the landowner says as I am mindful that the permission is a privilege, not a right, and even when I have to drag a decoy bag, hide poles, guns, ammo, seat, flask, and food with me, I don't mind the 1/2 mile trudge as it's good exercise. Are we getting too lazy these days?