Blue dot data

Hi guys i got given a tub of blue dot off someone who was packing in reloading. And im wondering if anyone has any load data for it for 12 gauge 3&1/2 inch hulls with steel loads?

Looked through the bpi steel book but the load im after isnt in it and when i checked alliants site its not showing me much there either.

Im looking at loading 40-42gram of steel. If anyone has anything that might be of use i would really appreciate it.

All the best for 2016 hatsan

You've got that one wrong, UD. Blue dot is a decent powder for big steel loads.

Being wrong is not a problem but I am not aware of alliant recommending it for steel in a 3&1/2" case, lead and bismuth yes in 12g.

That is why I said he will have to develop it himself.....for steel.

I love bluedot and not just in shotshells.

Guest cookoff013

They do list some 3&1/2" loads just not steel.

I would match the weight of shot, look at all the loads for the Max and minimum charge weights and go for middle. Load a couple and see how they feel and compare the spent primer to a commercially loaded spent cartridge primer.

I would not follow this advice. Please seek dedicated data.

Matching the weight of shot of lead vs steel will be dangerous.

Discounting dedicated data then going for the middle is nonsense. Why would published data at the top end be dismissed?

Loading a couple and testing is a bad way of finding out how dangerous reloading is.

Also what the hell does a factory primer condition have to do with any homeloads manufacture. UD. That advice is seriously bad. It's not even published in any shot shell manual /guide. That's just rubbish UD.

The reason bluedot is not used much, is because it doesn't get 1500fps+ like other special powders.

UD, you are going to get someone in trouble.

Find more dedicated recipes then follow one.

Thirty one years and counting, still have both eyes and all my fingers.

Nearly died in a serious car accident though, go figure!

This feller is in no danger at all from my advice.

If I told him to use too fast a powder instead and start with the biggest meanest amounts listed first then yes you would of had a point!

Spent primers can be an indicator of pressure, any cap flattening against the breech face is an indication of things warming up.

To the OP, listen to the experts, I don't know what I am talking about :|

Thirty one years and counting, still have both eyes and all my fingers.

Nearly died in a serious car accident though, go figure!

This feller is in no danger at all from my advice.

If I told him to use too fast a powder instead and start with the biggest meanest amounts listed first then yes you would of had a point!

Spent primers can be an indicator of pressure, any cap flattening against the breech face is an indication of things warming up.

To the OP, listen to the experts, I don't know what I am talking about :|

My post was not intended to undermine you ,but from my experience , primers lie.

I sent a load in to the proof house , which shot and patterned well. No sign of danger.

That load was miles over proof pressure.

You can't trust primers as an indication of pressure

My post was not intended to undermine you ,but from my experience , primers lie.

I sent a load in to the proof house , which shot and patterned well. No sign of danger.

That load was miles over proof pressure.

You can't trust primers as an indication of pressure

If it was miles over proof pressure as you put it damage would be imminent!

Or was it over service pressure?

Had an M92S steel load tested just for curiosity having recently bought a Gaep spinner 1200 bar half a grain short of published data (should have been just shy of 900 bar) i must confess i was advised to drop a full 2 grains on spun loads,last time i had it tested sub 1000 bar higher than published but usable, only difference being spun and used once fired, as opposed to new cases, scary where pressure comes from!

Hi guys i got given a tub of blue dot off someone who was packing in reloading. And im wondering if anyone has any load data for it for 12 gauge 3&1/2 inch hulls with steel loads?

Looked through the bpi steel book but the load im after isnt in it and when i checked alliants site its not showing me much there either.

Im looking at loading 40-42gram of steel. If anyone has anything that might be of use i would really appreciate it.

All the best for 2016 hatsan

42 grams is to much for blue dot most loads are very slow and run on the hot side

1 1/4oz to 1 3/8oz are a better bet with blue dot

this is a load from lymans 5th

31/2" Winchester case

43grains blue dot

win 209 primer

sam1 wad

1 1/4oz steel shot + 1/4"fiber under shot

1475 fps

11500 psi

iv loaded this in new ched cases and it shoots good with 3.5mm and 3.75mm shot sizes

you load this at your own risk

:shoot:

42 grams is to much for blue dot most loads are very slow and run on the hot side

31/2" Winchester case

43grains blue dot

win 209 primer

sam1 wad

1475 fps

11500 psi

iv loaded this in new ched cases and it shoots good with 3.5mm and 3.75mm shot sizes

Thanks uk fowlwer if i did load this load i would be shooting it through a modern semi auto.

By the sounds of it i might be best using a diffrent powder and selling the blue dot on.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• 5 years later...
On 30/12/2015 at 16:27, UK fowler said:

31/2" Winchester case

43grains blue dot

win 209 primer

sam1 wad

1475 fps

11500 psi

I may pick up some sam1 wads solely to use this recipe with blue dot.I have a good few gamebore 3.5 once fired cases im contemplating using.Anyone able to validate what cases gamebore use??  Sam 1 3.5 inch wads i assume?

Edited by bishop

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 12:11, bishop said:

I may pick up some sam1 wads solely to use this recipe with blue dot.I have a good few gamebore 3.5 once fired cases im contemplating using.Anyone able to validate what cases gamebore use??  Sam 1 3.5 inch wads i assume?

Reasonably sure they use cheddite cases. Quick test would be to measure a once fired case - Cheddites are 86mm, not a true 89mm. 

May be worth emailing gamebore to check, though.