"Freshening up" old bluing

Wingman

Want to spruce up my old Spanish side by side and thinking of starting with the bluing on the barrels. Current finish is sound no rust or pitting at all it's just a bit faded. I have been looking at various cold bluing solutions and the Ballistol 'Klever' product seem to get lots of recommendations this is a link to it:

https://www.ballistolstore.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=134

From what I have read it seems to suggest that this product can be applied over existing bluing if it's sound and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing it this way? The gun isn't worth a professional blacking job and as its my rough gun I don't want to spend hours on it sanding back to bare metal. So thought about just degreasing it fully and then a quick rub down with 000 steel wool then applying the product.

Any ideas or advice guys?

Edited by Wingman

I've used it a couple of times and it is very good for a cold blueing product. You are spot on with the process and as long as you thoroughly degrease it will be fine - you can also repeat the process to build up the finish. Just a couple of points to mention; firstly it isn't a deep blue-black but more of a brown-black so in bright light it may look a little different if your original finish is very blue, secondly, like all cold blues it only sits on the surface so it will wear off in time.

I will put up a pic when I get a chance.

I only ever use Ballistol Klever, and I've done many rifles/shotguns with it.

I've always found that a 'touch-up' never works very well. It usually results in a blotchy finish. It's far better to strip off all the existing bluing down to bare metal, and give it a good degreasing. There are several things you can use, but I prefer Isopropyl alcohol - available from ebay etc.

Wear latex gloves, heat the metal until it's quite warm and apply the Klever. I use a cotton ball - the type for taking off make-up. I'll say no more on that matter! :whistling:

One application usually does the trick, but it can be repeated if you think it's necessary. Apply oil afterwards and you'll have a finish that looks as good as new. :good:

Wingman,

if you want it done professionally,ie taken back to bare metal rubbed down and fully re blacked see the thread ofr re blacking and a chap on here called barrelblacker.....for £90 you will get a set of barrels you will think came from the factory.........his service was outstanding and can all be done by parcelforce he is nr Ashford in Kent.