Reloading advice

I live in the midlands and I want to start reloading 410 cartridges for rough shooting. I've been scouring the Internet for info but found that the most of the info relates to American components. I've been looking at the clay&game site but all their info relates to vectan powders. My nearest vectan dealer is approx 2hrs drive away but I can pick up Hodgdon and Alliant powder locally. Can anyone recommend a reloading manual that contains data using components available in the uk (cheddite etc) with American powders!! I will be hand loading so need to use an rto closure.

Hope the above makes sense

Jim

This is what happens when people spread fear of impending doom for not following published data.

The thing is many a pioneer never had data, anyone developing a wildcat cartridge has no data!

They use what at one time was quite popular, common sense.

Look for the highest and lowest charge weights of the powder of choice, look at the pressure range and go for low to middle of the listed weights.

If you go with H110 or another spherical type of powder don't reduce the charge weight below that of any data found.

You will know if things are right when you use them.

Alliant a2400 is good for 410 and quite forgiving.

perhaps you should look at available powders Hodgdon alliant etc websites, I reload 12g using hodgdon and cheddite cases/ primers for instance.

That is one of the issues I am having. I've been on the Alliant and Hodgdon websites to look at data using the components available to me. The Alliant data doesnt mention cheddite cases at all and the Hodgdon website only lists x1 load using cheddite cases in 2.5". Thats why I am enquiring if there is a manual out there that lists cheddite (or other easily available cases in the uk) with the powder I can pick up locally (Alliant/Hodgdon).

Jim

I totally agree cookoff013. I need to read a book, or maybe even a few books before I even start to think about reloading. In the above posts I've been asking for recommendations on manuals (books) that use uk components with Alliant/Hodgdon powders. Can you recommend any??

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Jim

A good book is climbing the north face of the .410 ( not cheap but good ) any American data for compression formed cases will be fine in a parallel tube case there is tons of reloading data on the web Alliant 2400 is a good powder as is WW 296 and H110

I'm not in a position to quote loads that will be safe in your gun ( look on the Internet ) also if we knew where you were in the midlands some one might be able to help you

Deershooter

Thanks very much for your replies. Is it correct that 99% of cases in the uk are all parallel tube so they can be substituted for cheddite cases for example. Am I being a bit anal restricting myself to cheddite cases. I didn't think compression formed and parallel tube cases could be treated the same. Help. I'm so confused. 😬😬

A good starting point would be the BPI Advantages Manual 8th Ed. It covers the basics of shotshell reloading and has some recipes for 410 with American components using Cheddite and Fiocchi cases [2.5 & 3 inch], CX2000 and 616 primers and powders including Alliant 2400 & 410, Hodgdon H-110 & Lil Gun, plus others and various wads that you will get from Clay & Game, FES or Siarm. Read the book, select a recipe, buy components and loading tools.

I only reload 12 guage shotshells and rifle rounds so no experience with 410 shotshells plus no idea what powders you can get.

Good luck, be safe.

Hi Deershooter. Thanks for your reply. I'm in Derby (East Midlands). I'm going to order the BPI manual and see what options I have after reading that and then see where I can source the components from.

I hope you guys dont mind answering a lot of questions.........!!

Jim