Portable Car Jump Starter

HAYBURN

Hayburn.

I use one of the more expensive units from Maplin complete with compressor and work light. Go for one with the most powerful internal batteries.

Sure know what you mean :good:

If you don't use them regularly the battery doesn't last that long. Realistically, how often do you think you will use it?

They tell to charge it 2-3 times a year.I was always going to get the larger booster pack to bulky and they are carp used them in the motor trade.

being stuck in the middle of no wear an all you need is a jump start ain't no fun.

Thanks for the info

Sure know what you mean :good:

They tell to charge it 2-3 times a year.I was always going to get the larger booster pack to bulky and they are carp used them in the motor trade.

being stuck in the middle of no wear an all you need is a jump start ain't no fun.

Thanks for the info

well if it was me I,d be getting my car seen to if it wont start.

Hayburn,

I assume you're talking about the lithium power packs, not a jump pack with a sealed lead acid battery.

The SLA things are a pain to drag around and not exactly glovebox sized!

I have a Sealey 405A pack which I use all the time to charge phones and iPad. It's almost pocket-size and will charge from its USB outlet for ages without losing much charge.

It's supposed to be able to start a 2 litre diesel or a bigger petrol engine, but I've not had chance to test it out yet.

The only downside is that I would have liked more power outlets (there's no 12v cig lighter output) so I would think what you want it for and check the specifications of any unit you were considering.

I do keep it topped up in case I need to jump start anything, but modern engines seem to start too well!

We always used to have a charged battery at work in case customers' vehicles wouldn't start, haven't needed it for over a year.

Be very careful jump starting modern cars, make sure that any jump pack has surge protection. An employee at work jump started a 2011 Mercedes sprinter and wiped out the engine ECU and clock pack. In total about a £1000 to fix!

Yes you have to be careful when jump starting a vehicle, you should use a surge protector.once the vehicle with the flat battery is started

once you disconnect the jump leads from the car with the very low battery your alternator jumps to full charge (out put) an it's this that can

cause the damage. If you don't have a surge protector to hand put the head lights on (not side light head lights) or heater before disconnecting the jump leads.

Yes you have to be careful when jump starting a vehicle, you should use a surge protector.once the vehicle with the flat battery is started

once you disconnect the jump leads from the car with the very low battery your alternator jumps to full charge (out put) an it's this that can

cause the damage. If you don't have a surge protector to hand put the head lights on (not side light head lights) or heater before disconnecting the jump leads.

Mr Hayburn.

You have me worried. Would you ellaborate please.

Are you saying that the surge protector goes on the car with the good battery and then take the clips off the rescued car first.

I have never been taught the proper way and my employers sometimes ask me to help. One car,brand new played up-Porche 4x4 and there was nowhere to put clips on the battery. It had connection points on the bulkhead.

I worry now about their expensive cars with fancy electronics. Do we now need this pretector thing to hang on the wall with the jump leads?

Mr Hayburn.

You have me worried. Would you ellaborate please.

Are you saying that the surge protector goes on the car with the good battery and then take the clips off the rescued car first.

I have never been taught the proper way and my employers sometimes ask me to help. One car,brand new played up-Porche 4x4 and there was nowhere to put clips on the battery. It had connection points on the bulkhead.

I worry now about their expensive cars with fancy electronics. Do we now need this pretector thing to hang on the wall with the jump leads?

Mr BRYAN3

The surge protector goes on the the car with the flat battery,clip across the battery or connection points then connect the jump leads/jump pack.

this will prevent spikes.you should use a surge protector every time.If you don't have one, once the vehicle with flat battery is started, before

removing the jump leads turn on the heater an head light this will adsorb voltage spikes.

You should invest in a surge protector if its part of your job..

Mr BRYAN3

The surge protector goes on the the car with the flat battery,clip across the battery or connection points then connect the jump leads/jump pack.

this will prevent spikes.you should use a surge protector every time.If you don't have one, once the vehicle with flat battery is started, before

removing the jump leads turn on the heater an head light this will adsorb voltage spikes.

You should invest in a surge protector if its part of your job..

Thanks Mate.

Not my job as such but I can't help trying to help if you get my drift.

Seems like a good investment bearing in mind most cars seem to have them there ECU things these days,mine has somewhere.