.22lr Fox

belly47

a friend had requested a couple of rabbits from me the other day so popped over to a horse paddock permission I have to try and sort them out for him.

it was quite windy this afternoon so I plotted up in one of the horse shelters and settled down.

I was surprised that no rabbits appeared as usually there are plenty about.

whilst I was kneeling up searching my pockets for my vape cigarette out popped this vixen, I managed to lay down quickly while the fox was sniffing around and when she raised her head and looked straight towards me I sent the eley subsonic on it's way.

51 yards and the pictures show how effective this round is at sensible ranges.

IMG_20151231_162818_zps5ek6qh3f.jpg

IMG_20151231_162659_zpsuxuqivd7.jpg

IMG_20151231_163125_zpspezayf3t.jpg

and yes I do have fox on my ticket for .22lr and .17hmr

Edited by belly47

Iv'e just renewed my Fac/sgc and was told i could not use my .22 rimmy for foxes but i could have a .17 hmr.

Strange how different forces apply the law/rules. I been told that some forces dont like .17 for foxes.

luck of the draw my friend rightly or wrongly.

postcode lottery

All of this just goes to show how weak the shooting organisations are. There is no consistency in any area or any point. Various departments and feos make it up as they go along and no one does anything to challenge all of this rubbish. In the past before 22 center fires became common the 22rf was considered a powerful firearm and more than capable of taking fox. I've taken more with my 22rf than I ever have with my 222, 223 or 243. I remember getting a bit of a rear chewing in the past when I said that I'd used the 22rf on fox but like has been stated those comments were just ignored. I've always had fox on my tickets.

All of this just goes to show how weak the shooting organisations are. There is no consistency in any area or any point. Various departments and feos make it up as they go along and no one does anything to challenge all of this rubbish. In the past before 22 center fires became common the 22rf was considered a powerful firearm and more than capable of taking fox. I've taken more with my 22rf than I ever have with my 222, 223 or 243. I remember getting a bit of a rear chewing in the past when I said that I'd used the 22rf on fox but like has been stated those comments were just ignored. I've always had fox on my tickets.

I remember old folk using hornet for roe, they did not understand where the experts were on about and that is the problem, once someone is called an expert all common sense leaves them and they start worrying more about loosing their expert status!

So they start thinking about covering their donkeys to avoid criticism than instead of sticking to common sense

So now we have to use rifles with certain energy levels on deer where upon most the world is fine with a lot less. Can't use slugs but the rest of the world can.

Can't use muzzleloaders but the rest of the world can.

Can't use archery gear but most the world can.

I have seen deer stalkers with all the fancy bits of paper gut shoot deer and can not believe the shot has not killed the deer with all that energy!

I took a rifle off a chap once and shot his wounded deer on the run!

Experts, I love them, you can see the hatred welling up in them when one asks to many questions 😊

OK am done 😀

Are you talking about feos? The last one was very good but the nonsense that some have come out with beggars belief. One actually said "hmm,22 centerfire: isn't that one of those hornet things"? I thought if you don't know I'm not going to tell you and changed the subject. Another stated that all and every round of ammunition that I reloaded must be inter onto my certificate. He was telling everyone this including RFD's. Someone must have gotten onto the firearms chief who had to have him in for a bit of education. These and other incidences of make it up as you go along don't give much confidence in their professional competence. The best incidence was when one of the FeOs tried to walk in the open back door unannounced. He put one foot over the threshold and the dog who was lying under the table raced out and fangs at the ready and pinned him against the back door I poked my head around the corner and Said "is the security system working adequately"? Extra rations for the dog that night.

Lol, nice one.

No I actually meant the experts the law makers call on for advice.

For instance, in law there is actually no law prohibiting muzzleloading rifles for hunting be it a rabbit, fox or deer.

But you will not get a grant to acquire one for that, well I never have yet!

That is thanks to experts involvement in the writing the guidelines to the police, the unofficial law if you like!

For instance, in law there is actually no law prohibiting muzzleloading rifles for hunting be it a rabbit, fox or deer.

But you will not get a grant to acquire one for that, well I never have yet!

That is thanks to experts involvement in the writing the guidelines to the police, the unofficial law if you like!

And that is because we have no tradition of hunting in this country. In most countries where there has been a long tradition of hunting by the populace, there is common sense; whereas common sense (it appears to me anyhow) was long ago replaced by ignorance, prejudice and quite a good sprinkling of suspicion laced with fear.

In many countries you don't even need a license for blackpowder firearms.

And that is because we have no tradition of hunting in this country. In most countries where there has been a long tradition of hunting by the populace, there is common sense; whereas common sense (it appears to me anyhow) was long ago replaced by ignorance, prejudice and quite a good sprinkling of suspicion laced with fear.

In many countries you don't even need a license for blackpowder firearms.

Absolutely, the aristocracy deciding how things should be for the minions!

The only tradition I see common today is the minions up holding imperialism in the hunting and shooting laws of Britain!

For instance the lead shot and its status for shooting waterfowl. How many are quick to defend the law, s law steeped in prejudice against the very ones defending it en yet the very ones supporting it shoot waterfowl, they smash their little bodies with shot just the same do they not?

They speak against their kind out of fear of imperialism, trying to appease their masters, thus giving their masters more power over them!

Just fools, in fact the very possibility that duck are still shot with lead, the compliance issue, is probably nothing to do not being law abiding but more to do with the rejection (in this day and age) of imperialistic rule.

After all every one and his dog knows no duck in the wild has been found to be suffering from lead poisoning any more than I suffer from my lead water pipes!

And no one has found a fox suffering from a 22lr bullet!

Funnily enough, I have seen deer struggling after being shot with thousands of ft/lbs, go figure!