.22lr Fox

belly47

The only issue with a 22 killing just about anything in the UK is placement

Non of us can totally guarantee every shot

There is a lot of difference between a fox and a big angry boar mind you

I don't think a rabbit can survive anything but a glancing shot from a 22 gone bad for very long but the larger stuff like a fox can and that's the only thing that makes a 22 a tool that can be used rather than the right tool of choice

A shot well executed in this case

This sort of nonsense is what I was on about. Why hasn't this been challenged by the organisations?

If under Durham and your fac has recently been in for anything it will come back with alq for all calbres so fox for hmr is no problem. :good:

Posted at the same time. looks like a sort out has taken place. I bet that has stuck in someones craw.

The only issue with a 22 killing just about anything in the UK is placement

Non of us can totally guarantee every shot

There is a lot of difference between a fox and a big angry boar mind you

I don't think a rabbit can survive anything but a glancing shot from a 22 gone bad for very long but the larger stuff like a fox can and that's the only thing that makes a 22 a tool that can be used rather than the right tool of choice

A shot well executed in this case

And placing a lr bullet is harder than another bullet how?

Reminds me of the time a 22 cf bullet injured a fox at night.

The next day I found the fox and despatched it at about 30yds.

With an lr!

The only thing with more speed from a bullet is greater range. With greater range the more room for a mistake there is.

Got to agree with you there, Underdog. These really strong winds we've recently had (and I don't mean from the sprouts) have pulled in my 'acceptable' shooting distances with 22LR, but I'm very conscious of my own limitations.

I've taken fox with 410 shotguns, 20 and 12 bores, 22LR and .223Rem. If used at appropriate range, all will drop a fox without hesitation.

And placing a lr bullet is harder than another bullet how?

Reminds me of the time a 22 cf bullet injured a fox at night.

The next day I found the fox and despatched it at about 30yds.

With an lr!

The only thing with more speed from a bullet is greater range. With greater range the more room for a mistake there is.

It's not but frankly if I get a bad hit on a fox with my 243 as I have in many years of use it don't yelp and run off never to be found like it much more likely will with a 22

Years back I hit a twig on the bullets path towards a fox about 40 yards away maybe 50 at most when waiting for a deer

This made the bullet hit the Fox in the back leg rather than the atlas joint at the back of the head neck intersection.

It was very easy to track about 30 yards into the forestry were it was bleeding out at a rapid rate( the whole rear leg effectively vaporised on impact) s quick follow up shot ended things

With a 22 it would have been well in range and an apparently easy shot

Thing is I should ever caught up that one had the 22 hit that twig and likely the fox could have suffered for weeks

Making a bad shot isn't always about wind and range. Other stuff can happen like it did that day

Other stupid reasons exist for making a bad shot than over stretching things.

Sorry I had to publish this grizzly tale here but it's real life

It's not but frankly if I get a bad hit on a fox with my 243 as I have in many years of use it don't yelp and run off never to be found like it much more likely will with a 22

Years back I hit a twig on the bullets path towards a fox about 40 yards away maybe 50 at most when waiting for a deer

This made the bullet hit the Fox in the back leg rather than the atlas joint at the back of the head neck intersection.

It was very easy to track about 30 yards into the forestry were it was bleeding out at a rapid rate( the whole rear leg effectively vaporised on impact) s quick follow up shot ended things

With a 22 it would have been well in range and an apparently easy shot

Thing is I should ever caught up that one had the 22 hit that twig and likely the fox could have suffered for weeks

Making a bad shot isn't always about wind and range. Other stuff can happen like it did that day

Other stupid reasons exist for making a bad shot than over stretching things.

Sorry I had to publish this grizzly tale here but it's real life

I agree, is real life. But the issue in your experience expressed is an unseen twig not the cal of rifle.

However I must say to opine on what if is just not reasonable, in other words, the same situation on another day with an lr may of gone just to plan!

Or, had this happened to a deer would you conclude you had the wrong rifle for deer?

U.

I agree, is real life. But the issue in your experience expressed is an unseen twig not the cal of rifle.

However I must say to opine on what if is just not reasonable, in other words, the same situation on another day with an lr may of gone just to plan!

Or, had this happened to a deer would you conclude you had the wrong rifle for deer?

U.

Not quite the extra power comes into play when things go bad

I don't see a bunny lasting long if the exact same situation occurred with the 22 and I ended up shooting it in the rear leg

From impact of an unseen twig

A fox and the 22 hitting the twig? Frankly I should be very lucky indeed to find it for s follow up shot

There is no real fudge factor

I don't care what is on yer ticket bud well done.

I wager lr has taken more fox than anything else!(rifle wise).

Yup. I've said this before UD and maintain that there has been more Fox shot over the years with 22lr than anything else!!! Long before all this minimum calibre requirement tosh. Sensible ranges and the 22lr is the perfect tool. Nice work Belly as well. Perfect shot placement. Excellent pics as a well. Well done :good:

ATB,

Pat

Yup. I've said this before UD and maintain that there has been more Fox shot over the years with 22lr than anything else!!! Long before all this minimum calibre requirement tosh. Sensible ranges and the 22lr is the perfect tool. Nice work Belly as well. Perfect shot placement. Excellent pics as a well. Well done :good:

ATB,

Pat

thanks very much for the comments. I've let a few foxes go previously with the .22 as for one reason or another I didn't feel comfortable with the situation that presented itself, but on this occasion it was ideal and a good clean kill was the result.

I'm pleased with my overall performance both with this fox and the ones I didn't shoot. I read avidly threads about fox with .22, many from underdog on here and I'm comfortable now in my use of it for foxes.

but the debate will continue I'm sure