Please List your GREY SQUIRREL KILLS for 2016 Here

webber

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm impressed by your guys efforts. I only have a small 10 acre wood and planted it 20yrs ago. When the trees started to get to be proper trees about ten years ago I made and put up fiftenn bird boxes because new trees rarely have holes. Squirrels ate the fronts out of almost all of them and I declared war almost four years ago now. I set up seven live catch cages into which I fitted wire peanut feeders wher the small birds could feed, but any squirrel would get caught and be dealt with by my 410. I am now on 132 and my wood is a squirrel free zone. Any coming in rarely make it 48hrs. I have only seen four so far this year and three of those in the last two weeks, all left to feed the pair of buzzards I have visit. My wood is now buzzing with bird life and I am seeing nuthatches and tree creepers which I have never seen on the property before. If your a BASC member you will have already read this in the magazines letters pages.

Keep up the good work.

The one I had yesterday was a big old female which had been suckling a month or so ago, so the other two youngsters could have been hers coming in from the neighbours. Got a complaint from a lady in the village that she hadn't seen Fluffy on her bird feeder for quite a while :-)

Edited by Walker570

I'm impressed by your guys efforts. I only have a small 10 acre wood and planted it 20yrs ago. When the trees started to get to be proper trees about ten years ago I made and put up fiftenn bird boxes because new trees rarely have holes. Squirrels ate the fronts out of almost all of them and I declared war almost four years ago now. I set up seven live catch cages into which I fitted wire peanut feeders wher the small birds could feed, but any squirrel would get caught and be dealt with by my 410. I am now on 132 and my wood is a squirrel free zone. Any coming in rarely make it 48hrs. I have only seen four so far this year and three of those in the last two weeks, all left to feed the pair of buzzards I have visit. My wood is now buzzing with bird life and I am seeing nuthatches and tree creepers which I have never seen on the property before. If your a BASC member you will have already read this in the magazines letters pages.

Keep up the good work.

The one I had yesterday was a big old female which had been suckling a month or so ago, so the other two youngsters could have been hers coming in from the neighbours. Got a complaint from a lady in the village that she hadn't seen Fluffy on her bird feeder for quite a while :-)

I thought I'd read this before, BASC mag.

I've only got a garden but the sqidgies come in from the surrounding wood for the bird feeders.

Must be making a dent in the population by now though????