Zero Bass limit - level playing my *****

KFC

Another piece of ludicrous legislation which will do little or nothing to conserve bass stocks. We had a local stock wiped out near here by gill netting, and gill netting for bass would make it difficult to return undersized fish alive. Another defeat of common sense and a victory for the lunatics running the asylam.

Blackpowder

This has frustrated me so much I'm posting again. I probably manage to fish the coast(my favourite type of fishing) 6 times per yr max and that's on a good year so if they think IF i'm lucky enough to land a bass over the minimum landing size I am going to put it back they can sod off, I'm lucky if I have two bass a year.

Our country really is doomed unless we grow a pair

Edited by Ollieollie

No chance of the government doing that, the sooner we come out of the EU the better. Not done sea fishing for a lot of years, even then the rules targeted the small boat and single fishers and not the countries that ignored the rules or bent them by landing catches outside the EU zone or where every one turned a nbliond eye to the rules.

This has frustrated me so much I'm posting again. I probably manage to fish the coast(my favourite type of fishing) 6 times per yr max and that's on a good year so if they think IF i'm lucky enough to land a bass over the minimum landing size I am going to put it back they can sod off, I'm lucky if I have two bass a year.

+1 we usually travel about 9milrs in the boat to our favourite spot, and to think I will be doing that for 1 bass!!! For the people who actually care about the fish they catch and eat what they catch, this is gonna hit the hardest!

We stop when we have enough for the table, not rape the mark for all its got to sell.

Just part way through reading this article. Another thing that I hadn't realised is that, whilst scrapping the discard sysem, any fish caught over the quota limit must be landed but cannot be sold so it has to go into landfill. I.e discard on land instead of sea.

I don't see how it could get any more insane so anything I catch that is eatable size will be coming home with me in future.

http://nffo.org.uk/news/seafood-and-the-uk-fishing-industry.html

Fishery officers tap me on the shoulder about one in ten trips btw

Mainly I fish in the night so it does happen

The only bit that really upsets me is the pair trawlers being allowed to carry on it really is these that are harming the fishery

Gill netting. Long lines etc all these existed when stocks were good- blooming big pair trawlers did not

I like bass to eat but have only taken less than 2% at most of my catch. Your part of the problem or part of the solution

I like bass to eat but have only taken less than 2% at most of my catch. Your part of the problem or part of the solution

I think the statement , "Your part of the problem or part of the solution" in no way applies to taking fish while recreational bass fishing, (in fact it is rarely applies to any situation, just a nice sound bite).

Most sea anglers are never in the position to take a number of any species, that would really affect the survival of the species.

Pair trawlers and gill netters are a different matter.

If I take 3 or 4 fish on every trip (I should be so lucky), I will take 20 to 30 fish a year, I don't consider that a dramatic impact on bass survival.

I think the statement , "Your part of the problem or part of the solution" in no way applies to taking fish while recreational bass fishing, (in fact it is rarely applies to any situation, just a nice sound bite).

Most sea anglers are never in the position to take a number of any species, that would really affect the survival of the species.

Pair trawlers and gill netters are a different matter.

If I take 3 or 4 fish on every trip (I should be so lucky), I will take 20 to 30 fish a year, I don't consider that a dramatic impact on bass survival.

I agree in many respects

Reasonable amounts taken and reasonable sportsmanship has far less effect than pair trawling to the species

However bass tend to stay in thier year classes and revisit the same marks year on year.in this respect rod and line catch and keep can have a large effect on the sport available at that Mark

Something that shouldn't ever be forgotten though is if an average angler takes only two fish from.a mark in a year if there are 1000 visits to that Mark that's significant not only in the area but also nationally and internationally to the species

The above is of course well proven in salmon recovery post catch and release and the striped bass fishery on the east coast of America

If I had my way the bass would become a sport fish. It creates far greater for our economy and economic potential that way

Although I might only have killed 2 percent of my catch I have caught a lot over a long period I am personally just very specific about which fish I take

All said though small bass take big baits and lures and although we make great efforts for these juveniles I doubt as many as we think survive actually do make it.

No although I see your point we cannot call the kettle too much

It won't bother me , I eat what I catch , if it's bass - great if it's the tenth I've caught - so what ? There's not going to be fisheries blokes watching me - they can't afford them.

Really??????

Knowing the state of our bass stocks if you caught 10 bass you would kill them all.

I remember some very large catches made by anglers around the Caernarfon bar in the eighties, with many illegally sold on, (bait was live sandeels on long traces) this illegal fishery made a real difference to local bass stocks, the Irish seem to be making headway with their bag limits, no go areas and importantly almost no commercial fishing

Edited by islandgun

I don't think it fair to say inshore commercials fishing in traditional ways make so much more impact than all those recreational anglers

Back in time this has alway gone on mostly to a greater extent in the past than prrsent

Big buisness pair trawling and commercially fishing for sandeel are realy the changed factor

The issue is big buisness pays for good professional lobbies

In this argument it's far better to join forces with the inshore commercials to fight a better fight