what should I do ?

stubby

ok, I'll set the scene here, me and the missus not getting on well, and a split looks on the cards, but have shotguns and firearms, so do it

get in touch with my FO, tell him, which I wonder if the plod would remove guns from me thinking I might do something silly

or

sell all my guns to shop, get little back on them, inform police and wait till I'm settled again, get FO around for a visit and if all ok, start buying again

or

simply take guns/cabinet with me, I know the landlady of new property will ok my guns (it's my sister) and then inform the FO of the move and get an inspection

or

store guns with shop for unknown amount of time and suffer a big bill

if it really is looking irreconcilable and you think things might get messy, i'd go with the storage at your local rfd just to be sure, you will still have easy access to them and they are safe with them. Storage bill might not be as bad as you think. Otherwise unless you know someone friendly you can sign your guns over to until this situation works itself out, I cant see a better option.

I hope you can sort it out with your missus before it goes too far.

Edited by adzyvilla

Poor you, it's not nice when a relationship breaks down.

It sounds like a done deal if you already have a new landlady.

As said, if you have the slightest worry it might get silly, get them off your certs, ASAP, don't sell though.

Are these shotguns or rifles, or both?

if it really is looking irreconcilable, i'd go with the storage at your local rfd just to be sure, you will still have easy access to them and they are safe with them. Storage bill might not be as bad as you think. Otherwise unless you know someone friendly you can sign your guns over to until this situation works itself out, I cant see a better option.

I hope you can sort it out with your missus before it goes too far.

If it gets messy, access to the guns will be a problem.

Do you not have a shooting buddy who could transfer them onto his Certificate and store them for you ? You could then explain to the FEO that you only have access to your guns as and when you go shooting with your shooting partner.

Rifles are different.

I'd go with option 3 but without telling the ex I'd definitely store them with the FEO until the dust settled. I wonder how many certificates have been revoked \ suspended on the back of a malicious / false accusation from an ex with an axe to grind? If you aren't in possession and can prove it, you'd be in a pretty strong position when the armed response police or FEO come knocking!

Edited by MartynGT4

I'd go with option 3 but without telling the ex I'd definitely store them with the FEO until the dust settled. I wonder how many certificates have been revoked \ suspended on the back of a malicious / false accusation from an ex with an axe to grind? If you aren't in possession and can prove it, you'd be in a pretty strong position when the armed response police or FEO come knocking!

^^^^ this

In an ideal world u shouldnae have to do anything, but its sometimes not.

Assuming ur both sane and either of u is not a nutter i'd just move then to ur new house.

If u think it culd turn ugly u possibly could put any firearms into a RFD and any shotguns to a mate. But that would be a last resor really

If u sell and want to buy again will cost u a fair bit of money esp if ur happy with wot u've got.

Its bang out of order u could be 'forced' or even think about selling ur guns in a situation like this

When anyone else splits up with mrs polis dinae come round and take car keys or sharp knifes so why take guns??

3 or 4 would my choice.

I stored a friends gun for him while he split with his wife. Police turned up asking me to confirm I'd had the guns for the last month said showed them my log they went away happy. Phone the guy to get the story they come to his to confiscate his guns as he'd threatened his wife's new bloke (who she'd been having an affair with). They hadn't planned on his cabinet being empty and him being in Canada the day he "tried to shoot" the knob.

I was in exactly this situation 2 years ago.

Divorce was getting messy, so shotguns went straight to RFD for storage.

Never had any grief, but it would have been interesting if the plod did turn up and inspect the cabinets/paperwork!

Best bet, get them out the way!

Edited by Enzo

Store them with your RFD, that why if any false accusations are made then you have the backing of a legitimate business who can prove they were stored with them at the time of your split etc.

a mate of mine had armed response round one knocked on his door whilst the others was pointing there rifles in his direction as his ex wife made a report that he had threatened her with a pump action .but what she did not know is that the police had got his guns in storage and had for the last 2 month. because he had a thought she was going to do something like that

a mate of mine had armed response round one knocked on his door whilst the others was pointing there rifles in his direction as his ex wife made a report that he had threatened her with a pump action .but what she did not know is that the police had got his guns in storage and had for the last 2 month. because he had a thought she was going to do something like that

Yep - best to call their bluff!