Powder storage

There's some confusion over this as a couple of sets of guidelines seem to contradict each other.

As of now only Type 1 powders like black powder or black powder substitute (Pyrodex) are required to be kept in a special storage box.

Type 3 powders (nitrocellulose reloading powders) do not have to be kept in a box.

Are you by any chance under Cambridge as they seem to be the ones causing the most problems by deliberately mis-reading the guidance?

This is taken from another forum I'm a member of, it was confusing back in 2014!

"Spoke to Basc firearms rep yesterday , the code of practice is badly worded and should not define both powders as needing to be stored as black powder is in boxes however it may be suggested that if you have space in the black powder box it may not be a bad idea to use that for smokeless as well but also to ensure you store the black powder box in such a way that does not reduce the effectiveness of the box eg don't stack your smokeless round it or ensure in different areas .
Revised document explaining things in laymans. terms to be released soon and bAsc involved with other so keep eye out on Basc website . Effectively no real change but ensure you store sensibly ."

Edited by phaedra1106

There's some confusion over this as a couple of sets of guidelines seem to contradict each other.

As of now only Type 1 powders like black powder or black powder substitute (Pyrodex) are required to be kept in a special storage box.

Type 3 powders (nitrocellulose reloading powders) do not have to be kept in a box.

Are you by any chance under Cambridge as they seem to be the ones causing the most problems by deliberately mis-reading the guidance?

This is taken from another forum I'm a member of, it was confusing back in 2014!

"Spoke to Basc firearms rep yesterday , the code of practice is badly worded and should not define both powders as needing to be stored as black powder is in boxes however it may be suggested that if you have space in the black powder box it may not be a bad idea to use that for smokeless as well but also to ensure you store the black powder box in such a way that does not reduce the effectiveness of the box eg don't stack your smokeless round it or ensure in different areas .

Revised document explaining things in laymans. terms to be released soon and bAsc involved with other so keep eye out on Basc website . Effectively no real change but ensure you store sensibly ."

I can see that if the instructions the feo's are given from on hi are wrong then they never can be right

Black powder can't be stored in a dwelling and can only be stored in a shed, outbuilding or garage and in a wooden box. This caused the FEO that processed my application some years back something akin to brain seizures trying to get his head round it. I wanted to put it in the shed. But its a fire regulation not a firearms law AFAIK.

Black powder can't be stored in a dwelling and can only be stored in a shed, outbuilding or garage and in a wooden box.

There is no reason (legal or otherwise) that black powder cannot be stored in a dwelling, all you have to do is comply with the following requirements,

Black Powder

Subject to a number of conditions, storage of Black Powder is permitted at home or businesses without needing a licence / registration or applying separation distances.

Storage will be in plastic/paper containers holding no more than 550 grams of powder. No metal should be used. The containers should be in a suitable storage box. Minimum requirements:

• Constructed using 18mm ply or similar
  • Compartment separators 6mm ply
  • Air gap of 30per cent between top of powder container and top of box
  • No bare metal on inside of box
  • Lid to be secured and with a good seal
  • The box must not be located under or near any means of access or escape. It should not be in the same room as flammable liquids or in areas where there is a risk of fire.

There's also a fuller description about locking and securing the storage box (if it has 6 or more compartments) here, http://www.bristolmuzzleloaders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Muzzleloading/blackpowderstore.htm

Another FEO talking rubbish.

Probably the same rubbish as the feo that told applicant that he had to go on a firearms awareness course run by a bloke with a tree/ horticulture certificate. 1 day course = £125 to get his fac. And the organisations dont seem to get on the phone to these departments to haul them up on it and call them to account. Crazy. AND this course was supposed to be endorsed by basc.

Edited by fortune

Another FEO talking rubbish.

Or not? The problem is the recent introduced explosive regulations ER2014 if you scroll down to page 100 and read the following plain english guidance document (or you can google the actual regualtions),

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l150.pdf

You will see that shooters powder is defined to include both black powder and smokeless powder and storing small quantities of shooters powder as per the regulation even in domestic premises is covered in Appendix 7 page 100 on and yes a wooden box should be used to comply with the ER2014 regulation.

The police enforce ER2014 regulation on us as reloaders so I guess it depends on how much of a pain they now want to be and is "should be" the same as "must be"?

rb

• 4 years later...

the 2014 act says that black powder and shooters powder should be in 1/2 kilo bottles and stored in special boxes for black powder.

FEO's have taken it that shooter powder is nitro powder and it should be stored in a similar manner. this is wrong.

shooters powder is subsitue black powder and I have a letter from the HSE and ACPO that states that  nitro powder should not be taken out of its original container

and should not be stored in boxes. also there is not separation distance recommended.

Black powder and nitro powder should not be in the same box or container.

should anybody want a copy please contact me and I will send you one

Alan