Help with cooking lamb belly

malkiserow

We buy half lambs (and pigs) direct from local farmers so we have cooked all the bits we wouldn't otherwise have bought, including lamb breast. The best way we've found is to make an absorbent, lean stuffing (lots of bread, onions, herbs etc), lay it in the middle and roll into a tube and tie off. Roast very hot for 15 mins then cover and cook on a very low heat for about 4 hours and you'll have a passable, but strong flavored, meal. If I'm honest the breast is always the last thing remaining n the freezer - I'm not much of a fan.

As above. A lean stuffing of cooked pearl barley, a few breadcrumbs, fresh herbs, lemon zest and plenty of salt and pepper is a good option.

Breast is very fatty, but the skin crisps up magnificently. Cut under the first half of skin, so that when you roll it the meat, that flap is on the outside - delicious.

The flavour is very lamb-y :good:

LS

PS: one of the best leftover sandwiches I ever made was with this very combination. Thin slices microwaved and then stuffed in a roll with tomatoes and salad (the flavour of the tomatoes really cuts through the fattiness).

This is my kids favourite, they even wanted it for Christmas dinner!

DELIA SMITH’S STUFFED BREAST OF LAMB

 1 large breast of lamb For the stuffing

2 oz breadcrumbs (50g)

1 medium onion, very finely chopped

1 tablespoon each of chopped parsley & chopped mint quarter whole nutmeg, grated

1 teaspoon finely crushed rosemary

grated rind of half a lemon

1 small egg, beaten

salt and freshly milled black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4

Put the breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, mint, grated nutmeg, rosemary and lemon rind in a mixing bowl and season well with pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly, then stir in beaten egg to bind the mixture together.

Spread the stuffing evenly over the breast of lamb. Roll it up gently but not too tightly, tuck the flap end over, then tie securely with string in three places (again not too tightly). Wrap the meat in foil, set in a roasting tin and cook for one and a half hours. At the end of this time, unwrap the foil, baste with the juices and let it brown for a further 30 minutes.

Serve cut into thick slices with a thin gravy made with the pan juices and some redcurrant jelly.

• 4 weeks later...

I like to cook lamb breast really slow. Give it a good colour in a hot pan, then put it in a pot with some roughly chopped veg, add some red wine and beef stock, cover and put in a low oven and cook until it's falling apart.

Put it in a sieve and catch the cooking liquor, and reduce it on a high heat until it is thick and syrup like. Add the meat back into the reduced liquor and enjoy.

At the pub I serve it with some gnocchi made with our own potatoes, some garlic cream and some roasted root vegetables, makes a nifty little starter for the colder months, quite rich but delicious