Using a shotgun for humane dispatch of a horse

hedge

This is totally hypothetical but came up in conversation recently and got me thinking.

The discussion was caused by watching a hunt horse and rider fall off when jumping a fence - (Boxing Day meet - no foxes were harmed). The horse looked in a bad way and had problems standing etc. I'm no vet but general consensus was it wasn't very well. SWMBO is a rider and was very upset to see it in that state. No vet was present.

The question she asked me was whether a shotgun could be used to perform euthanasia on the horse. This would be in the absence of any other method and effectively a case of last resort to prevent further suffering.

I said it probably could, but really had no idea how to do it - that's if it's possible.

Assuming the area is sterile and free of people etc - what do you do? I mean in terms of where would you put the gun to get the desired effect and is there a risk of ricochets etc? What else to consider?

Assumptions:

• Wounded horse - needs to be put down ASAP
  • Safe location
  • Weapon is either 12 gauge or 20 bore.

Like I said at the start - this is a worse case scenario `what if` question. I would be interested in the legality as well if private land or public highway. There are plenty of other variables.

I'd like to think I could do it if necessary but not sure on how to do it or whether it is a definite `no no`.

Thanks.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Can of worms this is

And hypothetical

Yes shotgun will do it daw a line from eye to ear across its head then another from other eye to ear

That should give you a cross there's your point of aim

Gun inch or to away from head square on it best with a single cartridge in gun for safety

Then get out of the way as they can lurch forward

Onto you

Legally more worms if your not a vet or licences slaughterman and decide it needs putting down I doubt the insurance company would be happy then the body needs moving usually by the kennels or knacker man who would proberably be licences to do the job anyway

Not to mention the grief from your missis who's horse you just shot

So best plan call a vet !!!!!!

Just my take on it

All the best

Of

A shotgun with any size shot would be more than capable of killing a horse and is perfectly legal.

Hold the gun a few inches from the front of the skull, the aim point being slightly above, 2cm, the center of an imaginary cross drawn from the eye to the base of the opposite ear.

This is relatively safe and easy for a horse that is down but very difficult and potentially dangerous when the horse is standing as holding a shotgun, or rifle for that matter, is all but impossible due to the height of the head.

As said it would more than kill a horse, but I dread to think how the horse would react. Even when injected by a professional they can occasionally freak out, or fall uncontrollably. If you think how a head shot rabbit etc reacts, usually by flipping about just imagine the same but with 500kg plus of horse flailing around. I know the knackerman shoots can shoot them but they know exactly what they are doing

Edited by kennett

As said. A shotgun (with 'normal' shot) basically acts like solid slug at a range of a couple of feet. Like 'islandgun', I've had to humanely dispatch ewes in the past, and a 410 (12-14g of 6 or 7 shot) does the job perfectly.

As said it would more than kill a horse, but I dread to think how the horse would react. Even when injected by a professional they can occasionally freak out, or fall uncontrollably. If you think how a head shot rabbit etc reacts, usually by flipping about just imagine the same but with 500kg plus of horse flailing around

Wouldn't happen. Done properly, a horse, cow, bull dispatched with a captive bolt gun just drops on the spot. A shotgun would be identical in effect.

Just second wot a few have said, a lot of slaughtermen, vets actually choose to use a short 410 in some situations.

Actually safer in many respects than a rifle as no bullet to bounce around of any hard surface, and no FAC conditions to worry about althou most cover u for humane dispatch if 100% neccesary

Not something u should really volanteer for unless really no one else about. In scotland the hunts have to drive foxes to standing guns so always guns on site, i usually the kennel man will also be a knacker man, so best leaving to to experienced folk.

Will get little thanks even if goes right and major grief if it doesnae

Most racing meets, where a vet isn't present, have a knackerman and access to a medium gauge shotgun to despatch wounded / injured racehorses which can't reasonably (or cost-effectively) be saved. Traditionally a 16, 20 or 24 gauge have been used (since the beginning of modern racing - obviously 24 gauges are usually antiques these days), with the shot placed behind the ear, barrel slightly away from the surface of the skull. Rifles are not preferred due to ricochet danger - not good when you're in the middle of a crowd of people.

The thing to remember when despatching any large animal like this is that the heart / muscles will take several minutes to die, meaning that the animal can still give you a (potentially lethal) kick, even after it's brain is destroyed. Take the shot, stand back, give it 10 minutes, and then tidy up.

Edited by neutron619

As said. A shotgun (with 'normal' shot) basically acts like solid slug at a range of a couple of feet. Like 'islandgun', I've had to humanely dispatch ewes in the past, and a 410 (12-14g of 6 or 7 shot) does the job perfectly.

Wouldn't happen. Done properly, a horse, cow, bull dispatched with a captive bolt gun just drops on the spot. A shotgun would be identical in effect.

Thats because a captive bolt just stuns the animal. it does not kill it.

Here is a topic of which i have a good amount of knowledge. I've got and had lots of horses and I've got my own business working with the bloody things.

First off anything from a 410 up will knock over said neddy. Secondly it's a bit different to the old x from ear to eye. Under the floppy hair bit at the front there's a whorl and that's your aim point so slightly above the average x marks the spot. Thirdly pray to god you don't miss. Fight or flight doesn't kick in it's just pure fight. You could very well find yourself wearing a horse necklace. They come at you both front legs at the same time aiming to kill whatever gets in the way.

Is it legal? Yeah it is as part of the animal welfare act. Would I recommend it? Unless you know a bit about horses steer well clear. Having taken more than a few to the kennels it's hard enough with a pistol to get one to not move and having held several to be shot with a shotgun it's even harder because of the length of the barrel.

Would I do it? Definitely. Last time I had to have a vet shoot one for me it cost me £60 for him to use his captive bolt and I had to ply him with hot sweet tea after because he went white and nearly fainted. The horse was well on its way to dying of colic at this point and wasn't insured for surgery so it wasn't a hard decision.

As said it would more than kill a horse, but I dread to think how the horse would react. Even when injected by a professional they can occasionally freak out, or fall uncontrollably. If you think how a head shot rabbit etc reacts, usually by flipping about just imagine the same but with 500kg plus of horse flailing around. I know the knackerman shoots can shoot them but they know exactly what they are doing

They drop where they stand, very messy with regards to lots of blood pumping out, very effective.

I saw a video from Spain recently where a bull had escaped the ring and was running amok on the street. Some guy stood 25/30 yards away and dropped it dead on the spot with a shotgun. No idea what cart was used but I was surprised as even from that distance it was an instant kill and from the close up it was pellets not a slug.

ATB 425

Edited by Browning 425 clay hunter

410s work well on Bulls never seen one used on a horse but sure it would be ideal less chance of exiting than a bullet.

Oh don't forget horses tend to fall forward for some reason don't hypothetically or otherwise get squashed they are heavy to move.

It could be to do with there anatomy 😋

There hind legs bend differently 😂

Coupled with the specific ligaments that allow them to sleep standing up

And they do usually go forward and down

If your unable to lay your hand on a gun and haven't got a spare pole axe

You could just use a hammer and Pritchel ( metal spike ) 😚

All the best

Of

They drop where they stand, very messy with regards to lots of blood pumping out, very effective.

Not always sometimes you get nerve responses had a roe I dispatched jump a back flip over a six foot fence once over

It was very dead the brain totally destroyed

Not always sometimes you get nerve responses had a roe I dispatched jump a back flip over a six foot fence once over

It was very dead the brain totally destroyed

I speak from a few experiences, a roe that's been hit by a car or such like IS completely different, wild animal in the presence of man will be pumped full of adrenaline, horses usually are calm. Edited by Paul223

It could be to do with there anatomy 😋

There hind legs bend differently 😂

Coupled with the specific ligaments that allow them to sleep standing up

And they do usually go forward and down

If your unable to lay your hand on a gun and haven't got a spare pole axe

You could just use a hammer and Pritchel ( metal spike ) 😚

All the best

Of

Thank you didn't know you knew about horses 😇