Timber workshop or concrete sectional garage?

clayandgame

Timber!

I have had both but love my 'mega shed'

8mx4mpolished concrete slab

timber frame,[back of envelope plan] breathable membrane wall, finished with black feather edge

commercial trussed roof with synthetic slate

no windows , reclaimed eBay 7' double doors

circa £3500

planning not need if you keep under the max permitted development scheme

build regs not needed if you keep under the max allowed

I'd build a block 1 evert time, timber costs a fortune.

I got an 8 wheeler of blocks a few months ago for £300, which is cheap, slightly missized (5mm from i side of pack to other ie each block could be 0.5mm higher) Be ideal for me and my standard of building, just for a garage and dog kennels

Just stick a flat roof on it with corragated tin, but line insulate the tin to stop condesation. Very easy secure shed/workshop.

I'm surprised and 8mx4m is not above the planning regs. In this area the largest size without planning was 25m2 or atleast was when i built mine

I'd build a block 1 evert time, timber costs a fortune.

I got an 8 wheeler of blocks a few months ago for £300, which is cheap, slightly missized (5mm from i side of pack to other ie each block could be 0.5mm higher) Be ideal for me and my standard of building, just for a garage and dog kennels

Just stick a flat roof on it with corragated tin, but line insulate the tin to stop condesation. Very easy secure shed/workshop.

I'm surprised and 8mx4m is not above the planning regs. In this area the largest size without planning was 25m2 or atleast was when i built mine

Profiled Filon works better than tin. Less noisy and hot and if you get the translucent will make the worshop light and airy. Still quite sturdy.

.Local regulations vary with councils. ours they have to be a metre from a dividing fence for timber buildings on new build. There are height restrictions. Also % total of land area covered .Might have use restrictions too in some areas. Ours is Cheshire East Council which might be yours.

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/planning/view_a_planning_application/do_i_need_planning_permission/do_i_need_planning_permission.aspx

Wot's profiled Finlon? A quick google only showed a building company

I used insulated tin on my shed roof which is great but put 2 insulated clear panels to let light in,big mistake condensated like mad, but were designed to work with insulated roof and salesman assured me that wouldnae happen.

Building a decent dog kennel block as well as a shed this year so looking for better solutions.

I think planning is different for different areas W&B, in our area 1m from boundry, roof peak below 4m i think and 25m2. which is a prety big garage really

http://www.filon.co.uk/products/profiled-grp-rooflights-sheets/

They use it a lot on farm building and industrial units. The flat grey filon is what they make road signs of now as it has no scrap value unlike the old aluminium ones.

You can normal get it in a profile similiar to corrugated iron if you want to do a direct swap over.

We get ours as seconds from a place near Uttoxeter. OH uses the flat road sign regect sheets to make hutch and kennel roofs with. We did the garage roof in a profiled shape at the old house with it when the felt roof went

Wood is not good if your doing hot work! Sectional concrete? yuk! Not so sure block is cheaper than wood even pre-sustainability people were already building the upstairs as timber framed.

If it was on a slab personally I should go steel frame with insulated corrugated aluminium.

Why? because I can and I am not quite so fast or skilled at laying block

I went for sectional concrete for mine a few years back, Cost was my main motive as they are such good value,i am a bricklayer too but just laid the slab and made the lads a brew,fully erected and parked in it in less than a day.They do have drawbacks no insulation and look a bit low rent but it served me well.

Sure with the right external insulation it would work out throughout all seasons!

True use to put fibreglass behind the ply, one customer bought polystyrene slabs we placed them on the garage walls and lined them with ply , this was warm the back off the garage was also a shed couldn't tell it was a section garage

I've never built one for myself but have done garage conversions, new build man caves etc. Are you bothered about how it looks from the outside ( can you see it from the house ? )

I've built them from block then been asked to go back and clad them in timber as the wife didn't like how it looked.

If I was building my own - timber all the way. Studs can be positioned with nogs ready to take any wall mounted units, easier to insulate etc. Nowt worse than a 10 year old garage with 79 rawl plugs on each wall where shelves etc have gone up then come down.