First wildfowling trip

oowee

Eventually I find my host and take the small track down to the beach for a pre shoot briefing. Its lashing down with rain and feels at least minus ten outside.I try to extend the in car discussion to prolong my eventual departure from the warmth of the car. There is no respite and out I go. Trying to get waterproof trousers and wellingtons on in the darkness, I thankfully manage the circus act and avoid putting my sock clad feet into the wet mud.

I make my way down the foreshore stumbling over the outlet pipe down the track looking for a useful piece of flotsam upon which to park. i stumble across a small tree log and roll it into what looks like elephant grass at the edge of the beach and step inside to wait. Its still lashing down so I decide to put my hands inside my top pockets and rest the gun in my lap. The two coats I have on are working but the rain is finding its way into my sleeve and down the inside of my pockets. I keep my head down to keep the worst of the wind and the rain out of my face and away from my neck, whilst at least trying to look at the sky.I sit and wait.

It must be nearly an hour before it starts to look a little lighter and out comes my hand to find the wet pocket that contains my phone. My coat is too wet and my hands too cold to extract the phone so I have to stand and take a look to see that only twenty minutes has dragged by. its colder now. Did something fly by? I sit back down and wait.

The cold is now creeping through my thermal layers and i realise that the waterproof trousers are no longer waterproof. Did something fly by? I sit and wait.

The cold from the log upon which I am parked is gradually reaching my bones. What did my mum say about getting piles from sitting on a cold seat? I sit and wait.

Something flies by and I try to stand to prepare to shoot. My legs and hands have seized and lifting my head allows cold water to move inside my hood and find my neck. I look up to see a few passing gulls and I sit back down and wait.

At last its light and i look at my phone to see that an hour has passed, that's enough and head back the way I came. When i get to the cars I see my host still sitting in the warm car. I could tell it would not be any good today he says with a smile the sea is too calm. **** I think.

As i get back to my shooting buddy already in our car. At least we tried it he says. ****. I think.

Any day is better than this.

Im glad Im not the only one to experience those wonderful quiet moments waiting for something fowl, the local farmer emailed me yesterday, geese eating my crops get down there, arrived at 2 pm, not a bird in sight, sat in the cold drizzle for 3 hours until I couldn't see or feel anything, packed up and went home, yes thats the way we do it cause we are fowlers, just think only another 3 weeks of this bliss to go before we are all sitting in our warm houses twiddling our thumbs and wishing it was September and all starting over again. :yahoo::yahoo:

Im glad Im not the only one to experience those wonderful quiet moments waiting for something fowl, the local farmer emailed me yesterday, geese eating my crops get down there, arrived at 2 pm, not a bird in sight, sat in the cold drizzle for 3 hours until I couldn't see or feel anything, packed up and went home, yes thats the way we do it cause we are fowlers, just think only another 3 weeks of this bliss to go before we are all sitting in our warm houses twiddling our thumbs and wishing it was September and all starting over again. :yahoo::yahoo:

Wildfowling don't end in three weeks! Inland duck and goose shooting does though

It's a waste of time here all the duck are sat on extra flood waters that amount to new lakes with very good feeding

Waiting to see if we get that cold snap from Monday after boxing day and a series of bad flights. Just not worth disturbing things for the chance of a single

Tides have been very dangerous due to estuary levels

As a result I have had my best season on mallard without a single widgeon only seen one shot. Teal had a flurry early on but then very little

First season wildfowling this year has got to be grim but you ain't seen the best of it by far- so stick at it cold and discomfort is just part of it endless nothing is not

Bad weather and wildfowling go hand in hand. When I was younger no weather would stop me from spending my free time on the marsh. Perhaps the worst day was on the Wash in freezing temperatures and heavy wet snow. All I shot all day was a brace of wigeon , but I loved it. The 60 mile journey home was not so much fun though. We were soaked through and my mates car heater was not working. Several times we had to dig our way through snow drifts and we got caught in gridlocked traffic for hours. I have never been so cold in all my life and was shattered when I got home after six hours on the road. But I would have not missed it for the world , all part of the wildfowling experiance. However I must confess today I am a bit more picky as to the weather I go wildfowling in, trying to avoid if possible very wet weather.

A true introduction to wildfowling , cold , wet , empty bag , great is it not ?.

I was out Thursday morning , it was raining so hard it was stinging my face , it did this from when I set foot out of the car until I was back to it once again .

The rain got through two coats , a jumper , a T-shirt and a thermal vest , the expensive waterproof gloves I brought for just such an occasion in the summer may as well been made of sponge.

I shot nothing , got up again 4.30 am Friday and went and did it again :lol:

REALLY??? Remember you only have 2 weeks

Edited by Beretta28g

Eventually I find my host and take the small track down to the beach for a pre shoot briefing. Its lashing down with rain and feels at least minus ten outside.I try to extend the in car discussion to prolong my eventual departure from the warmth of the car. There is no respite and out I go. Trying to get waterproof trousers and wellingtons on in the darkness, I thankfully manage the circus act and avoid putting my sock clad feet into the wet mud.

I make my way down the foreshore stumbling over the outlet pipe down the track looking for a useful piece of flotsam upon which to park. i stumble across a small tree log and roll it into what looks like elephant grass at the edge of the beach and step inside to wait. Its still lashing down so I decide to put my hands inside my top pockets and rest the gun in my lap. The two coats I have on are working but the rain is finding its way into my sleeve and down the inside of my pockets. I keep my head down to keep the worst of the wind and the rain out of my face and away from my neck, whilst at least trying to look at the sky.I sit and wait.

It must be nearly an hour before it starts to look a little lighter and out comes my hand to find the wet pocket that contains my phone. My coat is too wet and my hands too cold to extract the phone so I have to stand and take a look to see that only twenty minutes has dragged by. its colder now. Did something fly by? I sit back down and wait.

The cold is now creeping through my thermal layers and i realise that the waterproof trousers are no longer waterproof. Did something fly by? I sit and wait.

The cold from the log upon which I am parked is gradually reaching my bones. What did my mum say about getting piles from sitting on a cold seat? I sit and wait.

Something flies by and I try to stand to prepare to shoot. My legs and hands have seized and lifting my head allows cold water to move inside my hood and find my neck. I look up to see a few passing gulls and I sit back down and wait.

At last its light and i look at my phone to see that an hour has passed, that's enough and head back the way I came. When i get to the cars I see my host still sitting in the warm car. I could tell it would not be any good today he says with a smile the sea is too calm. ****. I think.

As i get back to my shooting buddy already in our car. At least we tried it he says.****I think.

Well done for giving it a go i hope you're first experience Don't put you off.

Imho no better place than being on the foreshore trying to outwit Wild birds in often Wild surroundings

In no way can you compare where you shoot to where the OP experienced his flight.

Attempting to shoot Wildfowl YES Wildfowling NO.

Let me know if you to would like to try Wildfowling and I'll sort you a Day Ticket and flighted Next Season !!!!!!

Ah,'tis what makes a man of ya.

At last its light and i look at my phone to see that an hour has passed, that's enough and head back the way I came. When i get to the cars I see my host still sitting in the warm car. I could tell it would not be any good today he says with a smile the sea is too calm. **** I think.

As i get back to my shooting buddy already in our car. At least we tried it he says. ****. I think.