A day out, with new kit...

Beretta28g

This post is being written in response to some previous topics. I haven't been posting for a long while because there's some very stupid people on here. Let's hope they don't see this post.

The plan was to go out fowling on the Acle marshes for a day.

After my previous battles with my shotgun I had just purchased a new Browning, 425 Waterfowl this was to be my first time shooting it.

So we (I was out with friends) get to our area, and sort our kit out in the morning and then have a short stroll down to the marsh, hide up decoys out, and then relax. It was a good 45 minutes till anything would move, so time for a brew, smoke and chat.

When the action started we had groups of wigeon buzzing us some low but most high, and all unshootable. Then the geese started, and we were in a reasonable spot, a favourite of mine, but it didn't look to be our morning. Then a few skeins came our way, ignoring the decoys the first skein came over about60 yards high, and all of thought well it's a **** morning never mind.

A few minutes later another skein came with a few stragglers just behind it. Judging the stragglers to be on the edge of range I had a go cleanly missing with the first shot and connecting well with the second. A concrete block wouldn't have dropped quicker( before anyone assumes, both wings were broken it had a pellet in the head, and 18 in the breast/body and was defiantly dead).

A few more skeins came our way all to high. Then another lowish skein came over I judged the height to be about 30 yards and promptly had a go. The first shot found its mark, and being sure from the birds reaction it was coming down, I switched to a second. The second bird crumpled as well, but did look alive as it came down. On inspection the first bird had been hit in the neck and body and was stone dead, and the second one was alive, as it would appear I was slightly behind ( all birds shot overhead) and its rear end and legs were peppered. Crucially it wasn't going anywhere and the dog soon retrieved it.

That was it for the morning, and after some well deserved food and drink we decided to hit a splash that was getting some attention from the ducks. After stringing a few decoys out in it we settled down to wait, it was a long wait as the duck didn't flight till late.

Soon we had teal and wigeon buzzing round us and I missed a teal with the first shot. A couple more approached but a mate had a go with a pump and was soon swearing wildly as the pump jammed after one shot. A group of wigeon flew by and I was well behind with the shot I fired as they were with the wind and motoring. A few more duck came round which included a cracking teal which fell to my first shot.

So all in all a very good day. I'm very pleased with my new gun and highly recommend them. In the morning I was able to change between 4s and 1s quickly when we heard the geese approaching. In the evening I was able to have two different shells chambered 4s for wigeon and 7.5 for teal.

The only thing I need to do is get some more chokes for the gun as what it came with are very tight.

Anyone want to buy a Winchester SXP?

Good flight by the sounds of it.

The 425's are a good gun but keep a eye on the chambers as they are very prone to rust if you are not meticulous with your cleaning.

I have a lambs wool mop on a rod in a tub of oil, have done for years. When I home, it goes through both barrels and the outsides get done with liege gun spray, that will do till the next day.

An interesting account of a productive day.

I see that you refer to some 'stupid' people on the forum, presumably some of whom responded badly to previous posts of yours. In any walk of life there are stupid people and idiots but just ignore them. You will get the right sort of responses to your posts from the right sort of people.

I can give you this advice as I believe myself to be the most intolerant person I know. My wife will agree with this.

An interesting account of a productive day.

I see that you refer to some 'stupid' people on the forum, presumably some of whom responded badly to previous posts of yours. In any walk of life there are stupid people and idiots but just ignore them. You will get the right sort of responses to your posts from the right sort of people.

I can give you this advice as I believe myself to be the most intolerant person I know. My wife will agree with this.

They haven't previously responded badly to me, but to other people on the forum who know what they are talking about. Some people deserve better Edited by Beretta28g

Nice post Beretta and sounds like a nice day out.

I understand totally to you not posting, I feel the same, and have asked the mods to remove some of my threads, due to people I know reading them(anonymously) and changing the way there are towards you in person and doing what they can to discredit you through nothing but jealously, and small mindedness.

Thanks for directing me to the thread Beretta28g and its nice to know you like the gun.

Nice write up and glad you managed to get a few on the first outing with a "new to you" gun! Thats always good for confidence.

I really must find one of those brownings locally and have a shot with one. The only ones Ive seen so far are miles away and cant test them before buying.

My time will come!! Maybe in time for next season :)