Diesel puzzle

amateur

I have a 5 year old, 62500 miles, Hyundai i30 1600 CRDI, which up to now has not missed a beat.

Yesterday, driving up the motorway to Birmingham. in heavy rain, the engine cut out. After I had pulled up on the hard shoulder, it restarted OK on the key, but the engine management light was illuminated and stayed illuminated.

I drove on for another mile or so, then the engine cut again, and again it restarted quite happily. This time, thinking that it may be a bit of clogging in the DPF, I gave it a good revving and carried on. The engine felt quite "flat", but I needed to get to Birmingham without delay, so pressed on - restarting the engine about 5 more times.

On the way home, the light remained on, the engine cut out twice and restarted, and when it was running, felt quite normal.

This morning, I started the car, the engine management light lit up and extinguished as normal and the car has driven normally all day.

Has any diesel expert any idea what is going on, and should I get the car checked over at my Hyundai dealer?

The five year guarantee ran out in the summer, of course

I recon it's water in the spark plugs........

Tell them Chady diagnosed it lol

Exactly, believe me I've known three mechanics standing there scratching their heads looking at diagnostics fault codes :lol: so no disrespect to anyone and I know it's just a bit of lighthearted banter but when a car has manufacturer warranty left on it then that's where you should be heading, if anyone gets it right on here it'll just be pot luck.

Edited by Hamster

Fuel filter to start, then injectors, is it ok if driven in a lower gear with a few extra revs on, and cuts out when you are looking for a little extra power if driven in normal gear ?

Exactly that.

I drove most of the way home in 5th rather than 6th gear, but yesterday I had no problems driving in all gears.

I haven't tried it yet today

Did you check the tyre pressures?

Yes, and I even remembered to release the handbrake and replace the spark-plugs

... the latter on my lawnmower and motorbikes

Anyway it is booked on Wednesday, and I will give you all an update then.