Non shedding dog suggestions

ElvisThePelvis

Cheers Alex, good advice, it really early days for us, but I noticed in the pics that some more cocker some more poo! We need to get the wife amongst some dogs and see if it's a long haired short haired thing, but I'm not going to push it, her dad died of asthma attack when she was 11 so It might end up no dog is suitable.

Might be safer for her to have some allergy testing done to ascertain how allergic your wife is. Some are so sensitive that skin and urine traces will set it off.

(I have got a sphynx cat for this very reason as the previous owner thought she would be ok with a hairless cat)

It would be heart breaking to get attached to a dog then have to rehome it.

One option is when you have got an idea of a breed see if you can arange to vist a breeder and stay for a while to see if your wife is ok, although this could be risky if she is very sensitive.

Sometimes people are fine with a short exposure to a dog, but living with one can increase the allergen build up in the house. If you get a dog you will have to be scrupulous about using a hepa filter vaccuum particularly on carpets and have a strict keep off the sofa for the dog to avoid this.

Not at all, all good advice... Funnily enough chatting to a friend he suggested I borrow his dog whenever I like ( the quid pro quo being he doesn't have to walk it) so I think I gave solved the shooting side... It is a very well trained Lab. Maybe get the Kids an XBox instead of a pet ( I think that's what they would prefer)

Wilksy, perhaps rent a dog is the answer? (Hang on a minute isn't that Tinder?)

I've got a cockerpoo. Bright as a button and has a great retrieve as well as being able to sniff out pretty much anything that's gone through the hedgerow. He's a working cocker mix and not a show cocker if that makes any difference. Not a gun dog just a pet but I have no doubt he could be trained easily. Great family pets but need exercise as they get bored if not given at least 2 x 40 minute walks a day.

• 4 weeks later...

There are varying degrees of allergy.

Some people are so allergic to things they will suffer anythalxis if they come into contact with what triggers their allergen and have to carry an epipen.

Some just react if they come into contact with high level of allergen ie the dander from high shedding dogs. Thats why some poeple are ok with non shedding dogs.

Some people with mild allergy can control it with antihistamines etc, but some with a mild allergy can develope a more severe allergy if constantly exposed to the allergen. Its all in the luck of the draw.

There is also the option of trying desensitising.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergen_immunotherapy

Friend had an Airedale. Lovely big dog.It swam quite well and would retrieve sticks. Not sure how well a gundog they would make.

It did need stripping regularly though, like border terriers if you clip them it tends to spoil the waterproofing of their coat as it leaves the softer undercoat exposed, so best hand stripped.

Friend had an Airedale. Lovely big dog.It swam quite well and would retrieve sticks. Not sure how well a gundog they would make.

It did need stripping regularly though, like border terriers if you clip them it tends to spoil the waterproofing of their coat as it leaves the softer undercoat exposed, so best hand stripped.

Were a good gun dog acording to what my grandfather used to say, had a good nose swam retrieved good took the cold well. He claimed they had a lot of otterhound in their background heritage hence the water prowes and nose if this is indeed a fact i cant say but i have read similar in books etc.

Quite what a show or pet strain english bred dog of today would be like for work , i could not say but there may be info on them online abroad perhaps with a few hints.

Rare now i think, you used to see them about in the 1970s a bit as a kid but not seen one for years.

Lagatto Romanolo.

Most dogs can retrieve, you don't see many that won't play catch stick or play ball. So they will pick birds with training.

Yes most if all can be trained to pick them up , but it is very difficult to train some of them not to crunch / eat / run off with once they have :lol: