Accipiter nisus

GREENGRASS

what a fantastic picture of a beautiful and efficient hawk. a very good friend who has been a serious falconer for over 40 years has flown captive bred sparrow hawks. i was fortunate enough to spend 2 whole seasons out 2-3 times per week in the 90,s flying a large female spar of his purely flown off the fist. i used to cast her off the fist at a flush, a corvids worst nightmare she was. Anyone who has an interest in these amazing birds history and training would do well to read the following book. i read it back in the day and would highly recommend.

A Hawk for the Bush, A Treatise on the Training of the Sparrow-hawk and Other Short-Winged Hawks 1973
by Jack Mavrogordato (Author),

what a fantastic picture of a beautiful and efficient hawk. a very good friend who has been a serious falconer for over 40 years has flown captive bred sparrow hawks. i was fortunate enough to spend 2 whole seasons out 2-3 times per week in the 90,s flying a large female spar of his purely flown off the fist. i used to cast her off the fist at a flush, a corvids worst nightmare she was. Anyone who has an interest in these amazing birds history and training would do well to read the following book. i read it back in the day and would highly recommend.

A Hawk for the Bush, A Treatise on the Training of the Sparrow-hawk and Other Short-Winged Hawks 1973

by Jack Mavrogordato (Author),

. Used to fly Spars back in the 80's.Surely the bravest raptor of them all. And the brilliant plates in the book capture them perfectly!

. Used to fly Spars back in the 80's.Surely the bravest raptor of them all. And the brilliant plates in the book capture them perfectly!

having gone out on a regular basis back then with me mates spars, finnish gos, male and female harris'. by far the most fast and furious sport was the female spar off the fist. lightning quick and had to be seen to be believed, talk about flying by the seat of your pants. some fantastic memories, ahh the good ol days!

yes i remember the book well BC, the veritable bible back then for shortwings. as with many things practices change as knowledge is gained, me mate still swears by some of Mavrogodato's fundementals and still regards many merits in the book.

Edited by 7daysinaweek

stunning pic as always gg.regular assassins on my bird table...will never forget one hitting and eating rearend first a blackbird...the noise was horrific!

I Was watching some sparrows on the front lawn when a hawk came past the window like a bullet and pinned one of the sparrows down. The poor bird was looking up at the hawk like it was thinking, oh ****, the hawk was just standing on the sparrow sort of thinking, who saw me do that and shall I eat it now or later? Instinctively I tapped on the window and the hawk took off with the sparrow and flew off over the hedge and away. I felt sorry for the sparrow but nature is cruel,