Light 12g load for PSG

Has anyone tried a light, say 24 gram #6 shot fibre wad load? I ask as a fellow shooter over the weekend was knocking down the plates ok with a 24gm cartridge, his only problem being cycling his semi. As I shoot a pump the cycling issue is not there and reduced pressure and felt recoil would be an advantage (I need all the help I can get!) would such a load work better in a 65,67 or 70mm case? I am getting the old Loadall out of mothballs and I would be grateful for any data, powder recommendations etc

Thanks

Roland​

Has anyone tried a light, say 24 gram #6 shot fibre wad load?

The only trouble with light loads is that they may not make the minimum "power factor" (ie, M x V, better known as "momentum") requirements for "serious" PSGing.

Regards,

Mark.

The only trouble with light loads is that they may not make the minimum "power factor" (ie, M x V, better known as "momentum") requirements for "serious" PSGing.

Regards,

Mark.

Roger that Mark, am just feeling my way back into PSG, gently and slowly! The "race" guns in open class have certainly changed, although the tech revolution still does not encompass the human element! It was reassuring to watch open classers forget o take their 2nd 15 round mag or drop a full mag in the mud. Getting back into it on sect 2 initially, I hope to relearn shot count awareness etc.

The smallest you can load on a loadall is 70mm tried loading 67mm and it dont crimp them quite right

Understood, Would be cutting, over shot card and rolling the shorter cases, I used to love making rolled carts, there's something more creative about them in my book

For IPSC matches you need to achieve a 'power factor' of 480.

Power factor is calculated by weight of prjectile(s) in grains x velocity in FPS, divided by 1000.

A 24g load is 370 grains, so in order to generate the required power factor it must have a muzzle velocity of at least 1298fps.

I doubt a 21g load could be made to qualify as it would need to be going 1485fps!

See Rule 5.6.3.7

https://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesShotgun.pdf

Csb5 powder loads from 21 gram I use the 24 gram load plas an fibre cracking load

Thanks, I don't recognise this powder, I'll look it up. ref the post following yours from breastman, any idea of muzzle vel? also I would guess that you use an over powder wad, what size?

Edited by impala59

Guest cookoff013

For IPSC matches you need to achieve a 'power factor' of 480.

Power factor is calculated by weight of prjectile(s) in grains x velocity in FPS, divided by 1000.

A 24g load is 370 grains, so in order to generate the required power factor it must have a muzzle velocity of at least 1298fps.

I doubt a 21g load could be made to qualify as it would need to be going 1485fps!

See Rule 5.6.3.7

https://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesShotgun.pdf

Does that work out to about 10ns recoil?

Absolutely..... Ha ha! I bottomed out of a-level physics with an E grade and that was 18 years ago so I'll pass on that one!

However, whatever the physical recoil is I've found to be almost irrelevant as perceived recoil is very subjective. The gun, it's fit, the action type, the clothing the person is wearing and the person themselves can make one persons mule another's pussy cat. I personally can't tell the difference with the recoil between my 3 shotguns and they are all very, very different from one another, but them main thing is they all fit me.

Absolutely..... Ha ha! I bottomed out of a-level physics with an E grade and that was 18 years ago so I'll pass on that one!

However, whatever the physical recoil is I've found to be almost irrelevant as perceived recoil is very subjective. The gun, it's fit, the action type, the clothing the person is wearing and the person themselves can make one persons mule another's pussy cat. I personally can't tell the difference with the recoil between my 3 shotguns and they are all very, very different from one another, but them main thing is they all fit me.

+ 1 ..............never did understand physics and I suppose that's analogue.....don't understand digital either ! just glad not to be first to say I haven't a clue. With reloading my mantra is charts and data first, ask questions and weigh.... when an opportunity arises to chrono, take it! Safety First!

The smallest you can load on a loadall is 70mm tried loading 67mm and it dont crimp them quite right

Could you not just raise the carts up a bit with a little circle of wood or the like underneath? (sorry if this is ludecrous as I know nothing about reloading and can only picutre that bringing the cark closer to the drill press like thing might help with the leverage/ crimping issue)

• 1 month later...

....was to do with fail to extract problems on Ithaca Mod 37

impala59,

I too have had extraction problems with my Ithaca M37, now resolved.

It seems that they can be sensitive to some European cartridge case rim profiles.

A good gunsmith re-profiled and filecut the inside of the extractor and I've not had a problem since.

Maybe worth a thought.

Great gun though - I don't think I'll ever part with mine.

LeadLobber