RAVENS SOUTH MIDLANDS AREA

popa bear

Has any body else seen ravens in their area i'm just south of Coventry and it took a bit of working out as to what they were but we are seeing several ravens in our area.God knows where they have come from or where they roost or go to feed.Don't tell me they are carrion crow as a few people have seen them and are of the same opion that they are ravens.Has anybody else come across them? :hmm: .

Are they protected, I've always thought they were ?

Yes they are

Reduce crows dramatically and they come back

Not the threat crows are as they are exclusive carrion eaters

If you can't recognise them against a crow then make darn sure you can or it will bring trouble down on you and shooting generally

Key points are the cronkin call. Size and flight pattern the wing is more raptorore like a Buzzard in shape with the primarys flaring out like fingers

Yes they are

Reduce crows dramatically and they come back

Not the threat crows are as they are exclusive carrion eaters

If you can't recognise them against a crow then make darn sure you can or it will bring trouble down on you and shooting generally

Key points are the cronkin call. Size and flight pattern the wing is more raptorore like a Buzzard in shape with the primarys flaring out like fingers

We have a lot here and I'm not sure there exclusive carrion eaters, Iv'e scared away quite a few at lambing and i think they are having a go at the lambs as they are coming out, maybe its the after birth maybe not but we do loose quite a few lambs, They will also bring about the early demise of any sheep unfortunate to find itself on its back

I do like their flying acrobatics in the spring though,

Edited by islandgun

I live on the leicestershire / Derbyshire border just outside ashby-de-la-zouch and first noticed numbers increasing in 2014, but last year i was seeing them most weeks whilst shooting or out dog training. As posts have said their size, calls/ croaks and wing shape gives them away but i also think the shape of the tail aswell is quite distinctive from crows and rooks, it is almost diamond shaped ,lovely birds and great to watch