Week away

Lloyd90

Thinking of ideas of places in Europe to go for around a week, hopefully not too far (hence Europe) around May time, any recommendations ?

Wanted somewhere for a bit of experience of the culture, cuisine and sights etc whilst not being bored :)

Was thinking Madrid but not sure ... any nice suggestions ?

Just got back this week from a weekend in Wroclaw in Poland. As someone has already said great food (and beer!) & fantastic value. Book through booking.com & you will get a great deal on some really nice hotels. 2nd time we have been, went to Krakow last year which I felt was a bit more tourist orientated, Wroclaw feels more Polish if you get what I mean, cheaper though, 90p for a pint (well 500ml) of really nice beer compared to £1.20 in Krakow, good choice of trips as well, we did Auschwitz, Schindlers & Salt mine from Krakow, these are a bit more expensive from Wroclaw as they are further away but not a huge amount in it. We really like Poland doing Gdansk next.

Just got back this week from a weekend in Wroclaw in Poland. As someone has already said great food (and beer!) & fantastic value. Book through booking.com & you will get a great deal on some really nice hotels. 2nd time we have been, went to Krakow last year which I felt was a bit more tourist orientated, Wroclaw feels more Polish if you get what I mean, cheaper though, 90p for a pint (well 500ml) of really nice beer compared to £1.20 in Krakow, good choice of trips as well, we did Auschwitz, Schindlers & Salt mine from Krakow, these are a bit more expensive from Wroclaw as they are further away but not a huge amount in it. We really like Poland doing Gdansk next.

What's the weather like ?

I think I'd absolutely love to go and see places like that although I'm not sure the GF would be so keen ... plus I might get tempted to leave her down a salt mine :whistling::lol:

Its cold at the moment, snow covered when we got there, they get warm summers though. I can highly recommend it, plenty to do & see & friendly people. This year we did more our own thing, took a train out into the countryside, saw a more rural Poland public transport is plentiful and cheap, our train journey was a 4 hour return trip for less than £6!!

Portugal, Porto. Or as already mentioned, The Algarve! Or do the Algarve with an excursion TO Porto.

I would also agree with Venice, though you need to shop about to find it cheap.

I found the Ukraine was nice, I stayed in Sevastopol, and visited Yalta whilst there!

The Italian lakes are superb!

hello, i quite like the idea of a visit to poland, trouble is the single supplements for an oldy, which airport did you go from? Wroclaw/Krakow looks nice on google search, i often wonder why so many leave for a better life elsewhere.

Split.

Plenty there, both inland and the islands.

Or fly to Zagreb or Ljubljana and hire a car and drive down the Dalmatian coast. Fly home from Split or Dubrovnik.

LS

+1 - Ljubljana one of my favourite European cities - just got back from 2 days there on business. You can fly there on Wizz airways from Luton for £67 return.

Edited by MrM

I have a friend in Madrid who says it isn't all that, but that just be her point of view as she lives there.

We are planning to go to Seville next May as apparently it the best time to see the bull fight.

But Venice, Rome or Ljubljana would fit the bill - Slovenia being the cheapest, or maybe Barcelona? but we found a few days there were enough

hello, i quite like the idea of a visit to poland, trouble is the single supplements for an oldy, which airport did you go from? Wroclaw/Krakow looks nice on google search, i often wonder why so many leave for a better life elsewhere.

We flew from East Midlands with Ryanair, only 1 3/4 hours to Wroclaw, a little bit longer to Krakow but not much.