Ruger 10/22 semi auto

goldie

Hi Gents. Bought a s/steel Ruger 10/22 a few weeks ago but can't seem to get decent groupings with it. Tried different scopes and sac mods but just the same. Been out several times and set paper target up at 55 yards on the golf course using sand pit/bunker as back stop and also to see where rounds were going. Shots were all around the target by up to 8 inches and never 2 in the same hole. Stripped and cleaned gun ect every time but still can't settle in down. Took my cz 452 out and set up in same place and put 10 rounds in a 1/2 inch hole. They were just over an inch high because the cz is set up for 80 yards and I can head shoot bunnies at this range no probs. I use Winnie subs so tried these in the ruger then bought some RWS but the results are the same. Next time out I will try a couple of shots without the mod on but they don't like the noise on the course and it's far too wet to get on my other lands. Could some of you lads who own a 10/22 give me any advice on what to do next and also let me know what groupings you are getting. I know that autos aren't as good as single shots but surely they should be better than what I'm getting. Many thanks in advance. John

Take the action out of the stock and check the barrel fixing is tight, it is held with a v block and a couple of allen screws IIRC that could potentially come loose. Then check the scope rail and action screws are tight when you put it back together, it shouldn't be that bad with any ammo.

Edited by JRDS

I fitted an ATI tactical stock and free floated the barrel on mine, this made a huge improvement on accuracy, also after trying loads of different ammunition i found that CCI standard velocity worked best, this ammo is also subsonic. Some of the higher velocity ammo was all over the place although CCI mini mags were not to bad, but as someone else said, i think you have to try various different brands of ammo to see which suits your rifle best. Another thing i was advised was, do not clean the bore of the rifle, after much research on this subject it seems that not cleaning the bore seasons the barrel and allows more accurate shooting. Some competition shooters, after cleaning there rifle bore need to fire quite a few shots to get things back to shooting straight again.

Edited by james1955

An eight inch group isn't caused by variations in ammo there is something fundamental wrong with it.

I have to agree, it's likely that something is loose on the rifle/scope mounts or the bullets are clipping the silencer. Having said that I've found the 10/22 poor accuracy wise and they seem to take lots of tweaking and non factory parts before they can shoot a golf ball every time at 40 yards.

Hi Guys. Many thanks for the replies and advice. UNDERDOG, the black tape was great!!! And JRDS, spot on. Took it on the course again today and tried it without the mod, got much better results, grouping was down to 3 inches x 10 shots, each make of ammo at 55 yards. RWS shot about 3 ins higher than the Winnies but grouped about the same. Tried it with the mod again and the nearest shot was 5 ins away, out to 8 ins. Tried another mod and exactly the same as the 1st mod. It looks as if the mod is bottoming on the front sight so taking gun back to the shop tomorrow to see what they say. 3 ins group is still far from perfect, but at least it's better and would give me something to tweak with and try other ammo ect. Will have to look into the floating the barrel thing and taking the band off advice later. Many thanks once again to those that replied. Will keep you updated. Cheers. John

with the ruger, I do think people don't try enough different ammo's, when I had mine, I tried my eleys and got **** grouping, so bought aa cart of each different ammo the shop had, around 8 different brands, found one that was spot on, different rifles like different ammo

i had the same trouble with my 10/22 the front iron sight was not square, so when the moderator was screwed on, it was ever so slightly out of alignment and the bullet was catching the baffles in the mod causing it to behave erratically, took it to a gunsmith who machined the face square and all was good. Quality dept at ruger can't be up to much!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Latest update. After 2 weeks in the shop and everything tested it seems that there are 2 problems. First is that the mod seems to be the wrong size (thread) and second, after trying all different ammo the grouping is still poor. Best grouping was with the high velocity rounds. The gun is now off my ticket and is going back to Ruger. As soon as I get my 1 for 1 I will try again with another 10/22 that's on order, and hope, fingers crossed, that this one will be ok. Many thanks for your replies and will let you know how it goes. Cheers. John

Hi guys. Latest update. After 2 weeks in the shop and everything tested it seems that there are 2 problems. First is that the mod seems to be the wrong size (thread) and second, after trying all different ammo the grouping is still poor. Best grouping was with the high velocity rounds. The gun is now off my ticket and is going back to Ruger. As soon as I get my 1 for 1 I will try again with another 10/22 that's on order, and hope, fingers crossed, that this one will be ok. Many thanks for your replies and will let you know how it goes. Cheers. John

was looking at 10/22 myself but am swaying more towards the cz 512 now looks a better gun out the box