Strange stuff found in Rabbit.

Bobby199

I decided last night that I would have Rabbit Burgers at some point today.

So I took three rabbit legs out of the freezer and put them in salt water to defrost over night.

This morning I proceded to cut the meat off the bone and within the muscle of one of the legs there was what lloked like a spotty white sack.

I poped said sack (rouhghley the size of the end of ones thum) and out came a frog spawn like clear goo suspended in which was little white dots (I presume eggs of some kind).

So I chucked this leg and made my burgers with the other two... which I have now eaten.

So my question is what was it? (My guess would be some kind of tapeworm eggs?)

And should I chuck the rest of my Rabbit as I joint it before freezing I have no Idea which meat corosponds to which Rabbit (and there is only about half a freezer draw full at the moment)

Many Thanks,

James

Mmm after doing a little more recearch I am fairly sure that it is a tapeworm cyst.

I am not sure weather to chuck the rest of the rabbit or not and just check it thoroughley (and stew it)... reading up on it rarley shows any signs beyond the cysts (and if there not there it dosent mean its not infected with an egg or two).

More to the point, do I just keep an eye on my poop for little white riggaly things? (if thats indeed how one would spot it)

Any more opinyons/ advice on the matter would be gratly apreceated.

Egg-heads given food for thought, bon-appetit!

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jun/03-hidden-epidemic-tapeworms-in-the-brain

The above link is telling porkies

This is for you.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/tapeworm.htm

Thanks I had already read the lower one and am sure one could become a hoast but just take some pills if you noticed anything.

I know my grandfater got a tapeworm when posted in Somalia (not sure what type) but even back then it was a simple take a pill for a few days...

Cheers, J

• 11 months later...

You have just put me off rabbit :lol: . not that i am getting any at the moment.

I was put off cod for life by two parasitic cysts at the head end of a piece of fish served up at a gastropub in Cornwall. The owners were mortified, I suddenly lost my appetite, but my then girlfriend (she was a large animal vet) proceeded to dissect the meal, bag the cysts and took them back to her lab to play with them. Strangely the relationship had a shelf life........................

For a moment there thought underdog was back and the noticed the date of his post. :unhappy:

Oh and yes anything tapewormy I discard, had a few over the years. Funnily enough used to ferret some turf fields and the Bunters i used to get always looked absolutely pristine and well grown. I had a fair few with tapeworm and liver cysts in them over the years, far more from this place than any other I had ever ferreted.

atb

7diaw