First successful days shooting

ajsnelling

Hello all

My last post was regarding being new to shotgun shooting (always used air guns)

Since then I've managed to gain permission on a really good/big rapeseed oil field with a tree patch dead centre. Plenty of cover!

The only thing is there were no pigeons feeding on it. I set my hide up right beneath a flight path which meant I got 4 pigeons which I was well happy with. They were all full up with peas! They didn't seem to bother about my decoys (12 flocked half shells and 2 floaters) just flew right over my head. Any tips to get them a bit more interested?

Also very quickly. What's the law regarding a friend who has a licence using my other shotgun if he is with me? He doesn't own one for himself

Thanks

Hello all

My last post was regarding being new to shotgun shooting (always used air guns)

Since then I've managed to gain permission on a really good/big rapeseed oil field with a tree patch dead centre. Plenty of cover!

The only thing is there were no pigeons feeding on it. I set my hide up right beneath a flight path which meant I got 4 pigeons which I was well happy with. They were all full up with peas! They didn't seem to bother about my decoys (12 flocked half shells and 2 floaters) just flew right over my head. Any tips to get them a bit more interested?

Also very quickly. What's the law regarding a friend who has a licence using my other shotgun if he is with me? He doesn't own one for himself

Thanks

Go and find the only pea field in the land and you will shoot a ton 😁 Edited by Dr D

As long as you don't leave him alone with it, your friend can shoot your other shotgun, since you will be next to him in the hide supervising. Might be an idea for him (and you, if you haven't already, for that matter) to get shooting insurance, such as that offered by BASC.

As long as you don't leave him alone with it, your friend can shoot your other shotgun, since you will be next to him in the hide supervising. Might be an idea for him (and you, if you haven't already, for that matter) to get shooting insurance, such as that offered by BASC.

is this on a permission?I would 100% seek permission from the land owner to take another gun with you....important for them to know who is on their land with guns.......not least for their own protection/insurance purposes.atb

He said his friend has a licence but no gun , so he is able to lend him one and his friend can shoot where he likes alone (subject to permission ), I think a gun may only be lent for 72 hrs though.

Edited by fenboy

You will need to watch the field regularly to see when the birds start showing interest in the rape.

In my area they have only started feeding on rape in the last few days, its probable that the hard frosts, drop in temperature and lack of pickings on the old stubbles, is having an effect.

As others have said, make sure the landowner agrees with your friend shooting, don't assume anything.

Permissions are lost easier than they are gained.