410 Driven day

richg

On Friday we had our fourth and last driven day of the season in Lincolnshire with our little guns, what started as a bit of a laugh and was viewed by some as little more than a joke has become more popular than we imagined. Back in september we had a Partridge day that exceeded our expectations so much so that we said lets have another on Pheasants, ha ha ha said some on here, you will soon be found out on the bigger birds, so we had our second day and shot 65 Pheasants and 63 Partridges for a ratio of four to one which we thought was pretty good, on a roll we booked another day on the same estate, and on a pouring wet day in mid December we again topped 100 birds, booking a final day for last Friday "15th Jan". During this time odd guns have been unable to make some of the days, but such has been the interest that filling slots has been easy with a bit of a waiting list developing, to such a point i now have about twenty on my list. Back to our day on Friday, meeting for breakfast three new guns were introduced, all having borrowed a gun and trying their first driven birds with a 410. What a day we had, for the first time in ages we had frost on the ground and wall to wall sunshine, God was looking down on us, we did five drives in the day with two refuelling stops along the way to drink in the warm sunshine as well as take in a little food and medicinal liquor. we finish on a flourish on the final drive as a good mix of Pheasants and Partridges fell to our guns giving us a final tally of 103 including three Woodcock.

What started as a bit of an experiment has developed a life of its own with all participants keen to do more, to a point that we are already planning for next season. I have already purchased a gun of my own (Browning 525 Elite) what a little gem it is and such a joy to shoot. Thank you to everyone who has joined us for days this season, many travelling long distances, your enthusiasm has helped to make our days such a pleasure, All but a few have attended courtesy of PW such is the power of this site. For those of you that have expressed an interest but have yet to join us don't worry you are on my list and i will keep you informed. Like many i was sceptical at first "BUT THE LITTLE 410 ROCKS".so don't knock it till you've tried it.

Richard Gray

Ayup Richard first of all thanks for chauffeuring Les and myself about. I think everybody had a cracking day, we all had shots we didn't think were possible with a "kids gun " I shoot one regularly so know what they will do. Thanks to the beaters and picker ups for driving the birds the right way. A cracking day Dave just one criticism please stop exaggerating it was 101 not 103