Payement

Each gun paying for amount of birds he/she shot would be very unusual. Normally, each gun would pay his equal share of the total cost of the day. Or, one person buys the entire day and invites several guns who don't pay anything. The paying gun, or host, would likely be hoping to be invited to similar shoots by his guests. It all depends really.

I have recently heard of some shoots charging by the bang - presumably they have had some poor shots turn up and struggled to make the agreed bag despite having a good number of birds over the guns. I heard this third or fourth hand though, so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

I have recently heard of some shoots charging by the bang - presumably they have had some poor shots turn up and struggled to make the agreed bag despite having a good number of birds over the guns. I heard this third or fourth hand though, so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

More common than you think. It's generally accepted that if a day is sold, say for example 200 birds with again say an average shoot 1 to 4 kill to shot ratio, if the guns shot 100 birds but fired in excess of 800 shots it would be considered they had sufficient birds presented and it is not the shoots fault that they are poor shots.

Having said that most keepers will have judged guns ability after the first drive and chose further drives accordingly. However, sometimes it has to be accepted that guns are just not good enough.

The keeper will know what the average ratio is for his drives and will therefore try to make the bag. But if you have shot well over the average amount of cartridges and not hit the bag, it is the teams bad luck.

Usual the team each pay there equal share for the day, but don't expect to shoot there equal share of the birds (some guns are better shots than others).

A good keeper/shoot captain should ensure the whole team of guns gets their fair share of opportunities at the birds, it is down to the shooter to put the lead in the right place and bring the birds down.

But if you have a picky gun, whom only shoots at high birds. And there is another gun who shoots at everything that flies. How do you cope with this?

Agree with the above points. Shoot captain should have a quiet word with him.

On the informal days I organise we had a regular gun who would shoot at everything. Things came to a head earlier this season when another of the guns felt strongly enough about it to inform me that he had observed multiple instances of unsporting behaviour (shooting low birds, always attempting to take the best positions in the line, using a shot counter to keep tally of his birds to prove to himself that he had shot "enough" birds etc). This goes against the ethos of our days so he hasn't been invited back.