Roosting shooting Febuary

Royboy

Well my favorite time of the year is coming up ! Even though there's no weight of pigeon around here at the moment, I normally put a few decoys up but thinking of not bothering this year because it's a real pain in the **** ! What I'm thinking of doing is putting my flapper on the end of my lofting poles and putting at the tree tops ?? Does anybody else do this ?? Cheers

Well my favorite time of the year is coming up ! Even though there's no weight of pigeon around here at the moment, I normally put a few decoys up but thinking of not bothering this year because it's a real pain in the a## !!! What I'm thinking of doing is putting my flapper on the end of my lofting poles and putting at the tree tops ?? Does anybody else do this ?? Cheers

Ha Ha your right about the pain in the ***,have a look at my post lofting decoys in sporting pics :good: BB

Haha, just thought a flapper would be seen better and less work ! Even if I just put a couple of lifters up there

It would be seen better mate, and I reckon would work :yes: so you would have the flapper unit at the top of the lofting pole? are you going to run the wire from the flapper unit at the top of the pole to the battery at ground level?

only problem you might have is when you take the flapper down at the end of the session you could possibly damage the flapper unit,as you have found out previously lofting poles can be tricky to use,especially when you use more than 4 poles in one length :good:

Another idea for you to consider is using a Hypa Flap,will give you some movement and is light and no wire or battery to faff about with :good: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

I tried it about 3 years ago, it does bring the birds near you but there wasn,t enough birds coming into roost to give it a proper test or recommendation I think I shot 2, but if you have a small 3ah battery you simply tape it to the pole a few feet below the flapper or within the lead length

I tried it about 3 years ago, it does bring the birds near you but there wasn,t enough birds coming into roost to give it a proper test or recommendation I think I shot 2, but if you have a small 3ah battery you simply tape it to the pole a few feet below the flapper or within the lead length

I've already god a very long wire and switch I made for when out Decoying and wanted to turn on and off as I pleased, so it brought the birds down did it ?

Tried it with a manual flapper some years ago , it was very effective , but a pain to keep flapping as the pole it was mounted on kept moving with the effort. May try it with an electric flapper.

It's funny you should say that, I've just been talking to a bloke and he said he was using a flapper in a tree 20 years ago ! A manual one he made his self and he said he worked a treat back then

Well my favorite time of the year is coming up ! Even though there's no weight of pigeon around here at the moment, I normally put a few decoys up but thinking of not bothering this year because it's a real pain in the **** ! What I'm thinking of doing is putting my flapper on the end of my lofting poles and putting at the tree tops ?? Does anybody else do this ?? Cheers

Yep, tried that one for the last two Februarys , and may do it again. I use a long wire to a small battery on the ground. Main problem I've found is the weight of the flapper + dead bird on the end of the poles! My pals have a good laugh to see me struggling with six poles in a good breeze! I Always try to support the poles against the tree, but wonder if all the effort is worth it, plus if you want to stay mobile, you know what will happen when you move 60 yards from the flapper! Good luck Royboy.

Yep, tried that one for the last two Februarys , and may do it again. I use a long wire to a small battery on the ground. Main problem I've found is the weight of the flapper + dead bird on the end of the poles! My pals have a good laugh to see me struggling with six poles in a good breeze! I Always try to support the poles against the tree, but wonder if all the effort is worth it, plus if you want to stay mobile, you know what will happen when you move 60 yards from the flapper! Good luck Royboy.

Yeah I know what you mean ! Every year I say I'm not doing that again because lofting and the like is a real pain in the **** ! My uncle reckons he used you put 40+ lofters up in the late 70s ! Now that is dedication !!! There was a hell of a lot of pigeon about then

Yeah I know what you mean ! Every year I say I'm not doing that again because lofting and the like is a real pain in the **** ! My uncle reckons he used you put 40+ lofters up in the late 70s ! Now that is dedication !!! There was a hell of a lot of pigeon about then

Yep, I can confirm he did, took him all morning if I remember rightly, and I also seem to remember he left them up for a month?! He had the poles made, and they weighed a ton! I think lofters do draw pigeons, particularly if they have already been shot at and are looking for safety, but you've got to weigh up the drawbacks.

Yep, I can confirm he did, took him all morning if I remember rightly, and I also seem to remember he left them up for a month?! He had the poles made, and they weighed a ton! I think lofters do draw pigeons, particularly if they have already been shot at and are looking for safety, but you've got to weigh up the drawbacks.

They where scafolding poles !! God that where heavy haha