First driven shoot with 20b

Hi all, I'm off on my first driven day on sat, having recently switched to 20b I have been using 24gm 6 shot. In fretting on which cartridge to buy for sat. I want to buy some sipes, 25gm 6 shot but I am worried these will be to light, and thinking of either buying 28gm 6 shot hull high pheasants or 28gm 6 pure gold? Anyone offer any advice?

Cheers Pete

I cant recomend the pure gold cartridge enough, 24gram should be okay but myself I would step to the 28gram....Maybe not needed and many other reasons others wouldnt but thats how I would spend my money.

I know two other 20bore shooters and they both enjoy the pure gold for game.

Cartridgers i have always matched to my guns have been:

12 bore over and under 30" sporter - 32 gram 5 or 6`s

12 bore side by side 28" barrel - 30gram 5 or 6`s

20 bore over and under, pump action - 28gram 5 or 6`s

ATB

Matt

Edited by salop sniper

I use 25gram 6 shot in my 12bore SxS and it works a treat, I've tried 28gram 5 shot and prefer the 25gram.

Bought a couple of boxes of supreme game 28 bore 28gram 6 for a couple shoots and between the 28g supreme game & the 25 gram pure golds I couldn't tell the difference in kills or recoil.Through a light Ylidiz 28bore.

Take some of both and see how you get on with them.

Edited by figgy

Hi all, I'm off on my first driven day on sat, having recently switched to 20b I have been using 24gm 6 shot. In fretting on which cartridge to buy for sat. I want to buy some sipes, 25gm 6 shot but I am worried these will be to light, and thinking of either buying 28gm 6 shot hull high pheasants or 28gm 6 pure gold? Anyone offer any advice?

Cheers Pete

Do you really think that an extra 3 grams is going to make that much difference?

Cheers Pete

I use Sipe in a 20bore and they are 26g of #6 with fibre wad. They drop birds just fine.

Cheers Pete

I shot last Friday in Suffolk on driven Partridge and Pheasants using the 25 gram 6 shot sipes with fibre wad, that I bought from a PW member down there. I was using my Grandsons 20 bore fixed choke Beretta with 1/4 and 1/2. I have not shot since last April, due to illness. I think that I managed OK at somewhere around 3 for 1. I also killed all but a few birds, stone dead. I was not aware of any recoil issues and plan to use them again this Saturday. I have not shot these before and was pleased with their performance on 30 to 40 yard birds, in fact when I missed it was the user and not the gun/cartridge combo.

Have confidence in your cartridges...24/25g perfect for normal pheasants as is 1/4 & 1/2.....you are 'suitably armed' just go have fun.you will shake like a leaf on your 1st drive....just pick your bird swing smooth fire when brain says so and enjoy every second.You dont need worry about your gun or cartridge just take safe shots,smile and soak it all in the day will fly past once started.Obviously you won't sleep much and all kit will be lined up,polished ready to go tonight!!!..Happy memories of 1st day coming your way!!!

PS nobody gives a monkey if you miss,you aint being watched so relax and nail that first bird. All best.

Cheers Pete

What gun are you planning to use?

Cheers guys gonna split between Rio 24gm 6 and pure gold 28gm 6 . I've got a Lincoln premier gold de lux milo

Sorry to be negative but using different cartridges on the day will not really help you if you are a novice shooter. I would go for one or the other.

Cheers guys gonna split between Rio 24gm 6 and pure gold 28gm 6 . I've got a Lincoln premier gold de lux milo

For what it's worth, with light to medium weight over and under 20s I normally start with RC SIPE fibre 26gm 7 and see if they pattern well.

Hope you find something that gives you confidence and have a great day.

Sorry to be negative but using different cartridges on the day will not really help you if you are a novice shooter. I would go for one or the other.

Fully agree with this.

I really would go shot size 5 though, I have always used size 6 shot and now am moving to 5`s ! Ive been watching carefully folk when out beating and shooting and taking note of shot size and payloads, when given chance ive been keeping an eye out on how well they have "Killed" on the hits they have made and it could be in my mind but the 5`s I perceived to do a better job when they make contact !

I will how ever remain with 6`s for pigeon shooting.

ATB

Matt

Pure gold every time!

I use them in my 20 and love the cartridge.

I also use blackgold 32 5's (overruns and cheap) and found these not as "punchy" as you would expect... very good, very hard hitting and very quick...