Dog Walking as a job?

ilovemyheckler

My sister does it. She also does dog home boarding.

Insurance is under £200 per annum

Council licence is £130 per annum

She charges £10 for a 1 hour dog walk or £14 for 2 dogs.

It's not easy and it doesn't earn much. Even on a busy day. However it is very much a life style job and does work for her as my mum has Alzheimer's and it does allow her to be around a lot to help out my dad with mums care. (We all live within a mile of each other ) she couldn't do this when she was in full time employment.

We also own between us a 2 acre secure field which is great for dogs that cannot be trusted not to run off. This gives her something that other dog walkers do not have to offer

Edited by daz2202

A friend of mine did it between jobs-did quite well out of it by taking several at a time but said that the best earner was to offer a little basic training at the same time-also had permission on farmland on the basis that he picked up any "eggs". Training was simple according to him-the dogs are easy, its the stupid owners that take the time.

Potentially it has quite good earning power but you are very tied down to the routine. People want their dogs walked every day and you have to fit in with their requirements, there are dog walking websites where people advertise. Insurance is essencial.

I knew a lady who did dog sitting a couple of years back and virtually lived rent free, such was the demand she was very rarely out of work and stayed in some wonderful houses in London and Home counties. Often for weeks at a time.

Edited by Vince Green

We pay £5 for half hour going upto £9 p/h when he's a bit older. It's our choice wether the lady walks him with other dogs but we choose to as he loves any other dog! She's insured and does it as a proper business. I suppose the money comes from walking a few at once and not long hours!

The woods round here are often filled with middle aged women who have several dogs with them, basically the dogs run wild completley out of control scaring the **** out of everybody else with a dog and there is no way the walker can keep tabs on and pick up all the dog doo they drop, not just one woman but several different ones. If you have access to private land then great but otherwise they should be banned from letting them off of the lead in public places. There have been a few consultations where other folk have tried to get this banned or restricted to certain areas and as mentioned before i think they are soon to be restricted to 4 at a time, probably they will take a friend with them now and shre the responsibility to get round the new rules. The trouble is you don't need to know anything about dogs to take this up as a living you just need to "think" you do

When I'm on tour or exercise I pay £5ph to the lass that takes mine out. She takes him just on his own. She also asked to come out with us for 2 walks to see how he recalls etc and make sure he would listen to her off lead. She has also got CRB, think it's to do with not having criminal past etc as she has key for house. She is looking to get fitter and earn pocket money whilst kids are at nursery. Can't fault her.

The woods round here are often filled with middle aged women who have several dogs with them, basically the dogs run wild completley out of control scaring the **** out of everybody else with a dog and there is no way the walker can keep tabs on and pick up all the dog doo they drop, not just one woman but several different ones. If you have access to private land then great but otherwise they should be banned from letting them off of the lead in public places. There have been a few consultations where other folk have tried to get this banned or restricted to certain areas and as mentioned before i think they are soon to be restricted to 4 at a time, probably they will take a friend with them now and shre the responsibility to get round the new rules. The trouble is you don't need to know anything about dogs to take this up as a living you just need to "think" you do

You have just described what happens at Ruislip Woods, near me, perfectly. Dog walkers use it because its not parkland so there is no picking up requirement. Chorleywood common is the same, dogs running everywhere off the lead. Tried to take my sons up there years ago to fly a kite and there was so much mess all over the place we came back.

You can see the vans pull up, hand over four or five dogs to the "walker", load the dogs she has just walked and drive off to deliver them back. An hour later he will be back with another four or five dogs and the process repeats again. At ten pounds per dog its not a bad business. Probably all cash in hand too.