2.4tdci defender

bostonmick

The engine is way more than man enough, probably the best engine ever used in the defender, very very reliable, loads of torque, really don't know why you'd think different?

The Mazda engine in the ranger is pants, are you sure it wasn't this you had?

Have a think how many transits are on the road every day, add to the all the puma defenders, tdci powered Citroen and peugeot vans, tdci mondeo's, LDV's and whatever else uses this power plant and give some thought as to why it's so popular.

Ps I don't own one, worked on them enough

The engine is way more than man enough, probably the best engine ever used in the defender, very very reliable, loads of torque, really don't know why you'd think different?

The Mazda engine in the ranger is pants, are you sure it wasn't this you had?

Have a think how many transits are on the road every day, add to the all the puma defenders, tdci powered Citroen and peugeot vans, tdci mondeo's, LDV's and whatever else uses this power plant and give some thought as to why it's so popular.

Ps I don't own one, worked on them enough

I had a 2009 ranger with the 2.5 tdci engine.or rather it had two engines first one gave up at 90k the second started to use water at 135k so was not going to throw anymore cash at it.also not a very good towing vehicle it struggled with good weight behind it.transit van are as far as I know a good workhorse but they don't tow 3.5 ton around most days.i think I will look for one with the last of the td5 engines.

Good choice I would go for the last td5's rather than the "transit" engines!! The td5 are proven now to do the mileage and for very little outlay the power can be upped a little!!

Mine has been remapped running 160-170 ish and on a run I'm getting just under 40, fantastic compared to what it cost!!! My auto td5 disco was chipped and short journeys I was lucky to see 20

I had a 2009 ranger with the 2.5 tdci engine.or rather it had two engines first one gave up at 90k the second started to use water at 135k so was not going to throw anymore cash at it.also not a very good towing vehicle it struggled with good weight behind it.transit van are as far as I know a good workhorse but they don't tow 3.5 ton around most days.i think I will look for one with the last of the td5 engines.

I'd say you've been unlucky, what caused the engine to give up?

If you want an honest review ask bigbird, her hubby used one, one of the first puma powered, from new in 2007 until this year, towing heavy gear around most days and off road with that heavy gear too, send her a PM

I have the TD5 in a 90 and it's brilliant, all it's needed is regular servicing, a track rod end and injector seals at 100K, however when I come to replace it puma power is without doubt the way I'll go, the engine performance is that much better.

I'd say you've been unlucky, what caused the engine to give up?

If you want an honest review ask bigbird, her hubby used one, one of the first puma powered, from new in 2007 until this year, towing heavy gear around most days and off road with that heavy gear too, send her a PM

I have the TD5 in a 90 and it's brilliant, all it's needed is regular servicing, a track rod end and injector seals at 100K, however when I come to replace it puma power is without doubt the way I'll go, the engine performance is that much better.

First engine dropped a valve which damaged the bore to render it useless. On the second I was told it could be around 2k depending on if the head was warped.i may have been as you say unlucky but it leaves a bitter taste behind.

I also see a lot of td5 models with up to 200k on them but not this model.so must question their durability.

Edited by bostonmick

Isn't this the engine that suffers pump problems ?

Personally, I reckon the best engine LR ever made was the 300, probably more luck than judgement though.

I take it you mean fuel pump.the 300 was a good engine albeit a bit underpowered for towing.problem now obviously is they are to old.

I take it you mean fuel pump.the 300 was a good engine albeit a bit underpowered for towing.problem now obviously is they are to old.

Yep, they're a bit sedate in the power department, good though. It's just taken me 6 months to find a good 300 Disco, age is against them now, but hopefully I shall keep this one for ever.

And yes, fuel pump so I've heard, just stop dead. Now really kept up with them so check it out.

Only problems I ever had with the 300tdi was the lift pump and the water pump. Sold the engine after 148K when the rest of the chassis was shot, around 3 years ago. Engine is still running somewhere.

300 was one, if not "the", best engine LR ever made. As said earlier though, probably more luck than judgement :lol: I've just bought this Disco with 160k on the clock and not troubled at all by that mileage. Looked after it should reach 300k no sweat.

First engine dropped a valve which damaged the bore to render it useless. On the second I was told it could be around 2k depending on if the head was warped.i may have been as you say unlucky but it leaves a bitter taste behind.

I also see a lot of td5 models with up to 200k on them but not this model.so must question their durability.

Dropping a valve is very unusual in any modern engine! Bad luck.

Warped head caused by? Overheated is the usual way, what caused it to overheat?

Isn't this the engine that suffers pump problems ?

Personally, I reckon the best engine LR ever made was the 300, probably more luck than judgement though.

Pumps and other ancillaries, sensors and whatever else are all produced by the same manufacturers, Bosch, Delphi or whoever, reliability of these components should nott be compared from one car manufacturer to another

Dropping a valve is very unusual in any modern engine! Bad luck.

Warped head caused by? Overheated is the usual way, what caused it to overheat?

I don't know if the head was warped.it started to use water and I was advised on possible costs before any work started so I just part exchanged the truck.did not want to spend anymore on it.maybe I was just unlucky with that one.