20 bore hushpower are thy any good?

dead eye alan

I love mine and wouldn't be without it. Like Cranfield I have the 20gauge over/under and have shot a huge amount of pigeons with it. I use it for roost shooting a lot as it doesn't clear the wood when I shoot it like a normal 12 gauge can. It's a bit of a lump for snap shooting but works well for decoying. The over/under isn't so front heavy as the pump action versions and so is more like a normal shotgun. I just wish Saddlery and Gunroom would get some better quality base guns in stock as I would happily pay a couple of grand for a nice Beretta or Browning version. I could live with this gun as my only gun if I had to.

You can buy them cheaper than £830, I recall one gunshop out Spalding way is doing them for £100 less or thereabouts but worth every penny either way.

Are they really that quiet? I've seen people refer to them as quieter than an air rifle and have my doubts. Can anyone shed some light on this? If true I know what my pocket money is going on this month.

I took mine clay bashing last weekend. The chap behind me was amazed and swore it sounded like an airgun but I think that is a slight exaggeration, it's more like a loud handclap.

On my way home I stopped at a farm where a acquaintance was roost shooting. I stopped for a chat and let him have a shot which surprised him then went to stand at the other side of the wood maybe 100metres away.

My first cartridge was a standard shell that had got mixed in and made a bit of a bang but I had around another 10 shots with my homeload subs.

On meeting back at the vehicles the other chap said how many shots did you have, I only heard one. I certainly could tell how many shots he had taken with his Beretta auto.

The 410 Pedretti single barrels are airgun quiet but have less range. I'll stick with my 20gauge and 30 grams of 5 shot.

Edited by sitsinhedges

I love mine and wouldn't be without it. Like Cranfield I have the 20gauge over/under and have shot a huge amount of pigeons with it. I use it for roost shooting a lot as it doesn't clear the wood when I shoot it like a normal 12 gauge can. It's a bit of a lump for snap shooting but works well for decoying. The over/under isn't so front heavy as the pump action versions and so is more like a normal shotgun. I just wish Saddlery and Gunroom would get some better quality base guns in stock as I would happily pay a couple of grand for a nice Beretta or Browning version. I could live with this gun as my only gun if I had to.

You can buy them cheaper than £830, I recall one gunshop out Spalding way is doing them for £100 less or thereabouts but worth every penny either way.

they do do a Beretta one and also you can supply them a gun to mod

I know it's not the 20bore but we bought the hushpower pump .410 and I'm amazed at just how effective it is for decoying using normal loads, usually 3" magnums. I wouldn't say they're air gun quiet but certainly no 'boom' that you get with a regular shotgun, more of a rifle like crack that's hard to describe. On a breezy day you don't hear it go off from not far away and you'll find you get a lot more pigeons keep coming into the decoys from a distance after you fire a shot, and I'm sure the 20 bore would be equally as effective.

• 4 years later...

I use the o/u all the time.  It’s my go to gun just because I don’t need ear defenders

we had problems with a horse owner moaning about the noise 

when we saw here after using the hushpower she said she was glad we had stopped shooting

i don’t use subsonic just because of price.    some carts are quieter than others