How to spot a bird that shouldn't be eaten?

Wingman

Hi all

Pretty new to pigeon shooting been out a few times but not taken any home myself to eat. I have been reading a lot of info about debreasting etc but wondered what I should look out on a bird I plan to eat. I think I get the idea of meat damage by pellets but can anyone give some pointers on what I should check before I decide to eat them myself?

Cheers

I eat them all unless there is a lot of meat damage, and that may only be one breast, but even it they are torn up a bit they still make good biltong.

Edit: Sometimes there are tiny, and I mean really small, white grubs just under the skin. Mostly they scrape off with a knife - they won't hurt you but can look a bit grim. I never draw them so I don't check the liver but If they are healthy looking and have no obvious injuries (other than a fatal gun wound!) then they are fine to eat in my book

Edited by FalconFN

They are the easiest bird to clean pluck...........some boys in norfolk like to roast them as you would a pheasant and have them with a cherry sauce....there are loads of recieps for them and im sure the boys on here have a few mouthwatering tips.....

i only like to eat them in the late spring summer as squabs....i dont like rabbit but prefer young bunny we call "friers"...........

hello, much the same as other info just take out breast meat no need pluck full pigeon check for shot. i like to cook mine in a small electric slow cooker with a beef oxo/onions and veg depending what you like fresh or frozen and slice pots, i boil water first and mix in oxo then add rest, do in morning before go out say 8 and when you get home 4/5pm all will be cooked., then add bisto gravy, 50 years ago mother cooked like same but in oven.

I eat them all unless there is a lot of meat damage, and that may only be one breast, but even it they are torn up a bit they still make good biltong.

Edit: Sometimes there are tiny, and I mean really small, white grubs just under the skin. Mostly they scrape off with a knife - they won't hurt you but can look a bit grim. I never draw them so I don't check the liver but If they are healthy looking and have no obvious injuries (other than a fatal gun wound!) then they are fine to eat in my book

I think those are flat fly larve. Funny I never see them on birds in the winter? Also rarely see flat fly's on dead birds at the this time of year? Just skin them. They wash off. Edited by Dr D

Always wash under the cold tap immediately after removing from the bird. I think it's genrally recommended you don't wash raw meat at any other point, something about spreading bacteria around?

If you're doing a big batch and storing some in the fridge or freezer I'd make sure you sanitise the surface you're going to put them down on after washing, to minimise them picking up bacteria before you store them.

To be honest with freshly shot meat you'd have to be pretty lax in your cleanliness and cooking to give yourself anything nasty!

I'm loving them in stir fries at the minute, I also like them in a Balti curry as well, pretty much the same as above when cleaning, I wash them immediately after breasting, put them in a vacuum bag and freeze until needed, I very rarely waste any, If the odd breast has a lot of shot damage I might throw it out If the shot part can't be cut off but other than that nothing goes to waste.

Should the meat be washed before cooking?

This is an interesting question, I always used to wash chicken but have since seen advice that reckons there is a risk of spreading germs around the sink area, apparently so long as the bird is well cooked all undesirable bacteria will be killed.

Red meat needn't be washed because again the cooking process kills off the germs. When I prep pigeon I tend to wash the insides but cooking shows such as Master chef say there is no need and I have to admit a completely dry bird is nicer to handle and cook with. One trick I use a fair bit is burning the tiny bits of feathers left on the birds over a hob flame and then shaking them clean with your hand. I find with pigeon that if they look and smell clean they are good to go, washing won't help with a bird that's started to go off.

This is an interesting question, I always used to wash chicken but have since seen advice that reckons there is a risk of spreading germs around the sink area, apparently so long as the bird is well cooked all undesirable bacteria will be killed.

Exactly! Reading the label on the chicken today got me thinking. I am planning on debreasting and freezing the meat until I need it.

Best way to make sure safe to eat is to get them ready to cook or freeze within a day of shooting them...and in the summer get them cool as quick as you can - spread them out on a concrete floor in a shaded shed/garage.

Breasts are fine with the odd pellet but any shot at close range I cook for the dog with the hearts and liver. But any damage to the meat means there will be bacteria contamination - hence wise to cook (or freeze) within a day.

I prefer flash frying in butter then make a peppercorn sauce while breasts rest in a warm oven. Breast meat should be pink and tender. Overcook it and goes very tough.

They make fantastic burgers, just follow any good burgers recipe, make a batch of them and freeze, put a layer of grease proof paper between each burger.

As regards what to look out for, Pigeon Canker is a horrible disease, mainly found during mild damp winters, you cannot fail to spot it, yellow growth in mouth and throat and birds are usually in poor condition, don't know if it effects the flesh of the bird but if I shoot one I dump it.

Edited by old'un