Woodcock, better late than never

Is this an unusual time for woodcock to arrive from foreign shores or have they moved within the UK?

They usually arrive earlier which is normally determined by the colder weather which we haven't had this year. the cold snap we have had more recently has had a few arriving on our shores albeit a bit later than usual. We do have resident birds but they don't tend to move a great deal within the uk.

Edited by r1steele

I was beating on a small day in late december and we saw 6 or 7, only 1 went over the guns and was missed.

Lovely birds and i hope to shoot one or two next season.

We have always had good woodcock shooting here in North Wales and this year they are a plenty, I'm planning on a couple of days next year for pw member for a small fee towards a charity, something new to try good sport and make some new friends before they put me in that box in the ground.

This has been one of my worst years for woodcock but I know others in Northern Ireland have been getting good numbers. I am based on the coast looking across to Scotland so I think a lot of the birds moved further inland with the mild weather.

I shot 3 yesterday and I flushed 2 doubles, but only got a shot at 1 bird each time as the other birds never presented themselves. I am out again tomorrow & on the syndicate on Saturday, so hopefully bag a few more before the season ends.

Like Ollie,it's also been my worst year ever.

It started off well and I was seeing birds in September flighting while walking the dogs but, it went down hill from then until now.There are lots of birds about now and last Saturday a few friends had around 60/70 rises.They are heading back down there Friday but the bas8ards in work wont give me the day off.....Gutted!.I would have liked to seen a bad season out on a high with a nice walk about.