New power tools 110V or 240V?

scotslad

Just a quick question.

Going to hve to buy/replace some power tools over next year or so for a house build. At moment most of my tools are fairly old and often cheaper brands, but do wot i ned them to do so far. But thinking might buy some better tackle

Would there be any benefit of going down the 110V route??

Generally most tools are the same price for 110/240 aren't they?

Not going to be used on any construction site (other than my own house) and mainly for hobby/diy type stuff.

I realise might be a pain with transfromers and not just plugging into a socket

But are they a lot safer if using outside etc?

Would never have thought about it but recently was helping the fire brigade during a flood and wading throu above welly deep water with sandbags and noticed there extension cable had fell into the water, not sure if there submersible was still working but i think it was (or noone noticd it wasn't.). Would not have fancied doing the same with 240v althou RCD would probably have cut out pretty quick

Safer for sure. Most site work won't have RCDS in the board if it's a rip out. I'll happily use 110 v in damp conditions, no way would I do the same with 240.

Don't get the same power drop in a 110 lead that you do in 240. You can use an extension reel of 50 m wound up with no risk of it tripping in 110 try doing that for an hour with 240

110 for pros, 240 for handymen

If non site use then go for 230 and make sure you are always working through an RCD. 110 will need a transformer and heavier cables etc as they run at a much higher current so generally a nuisance. Can totally understand trades using 110 at home as they have all the gear anyway and why buy twice, but for DIY use only it just adds unnecessary hassle and weight.

If you're worried about getting plug & socket connections damp then get a waterproof boot to cover them.

Edited by grrclark

Got a house to build with possibities of another a few years down the line (planning lasped on the site).

Prob a bit more than hoby use but if safer might be worth changing over, 9 times out of 10 be in either the workshop/shed or the new build so just need a transformer in each to save me lugging it about.

Like i said mst of my tools were bought 15 years ago when i done up the house in the now and were not top makes but have done fine up till now but will have to replace most of them over the foreseeable.

Not convinced about cordess quite yet, had some poorer drills in the past that never hold their charge and under powered, think batteries are coming on massively since but u are paying a lot for the privaledge. The cable wouldnae be that much of an issue

Some of the cordless tools are top drawer, but they are pricey. Of course it pays back in convenience, but only if you use them a lot.

110 are no safer than working through an RCD if it is just you working on your own, but can totally understand why on a busy site 110 is safer.

Is there any other draw backs of 110, other than the transformer for 'normal' use? I take it exact same performance as the same 240 tool

Got to run power into the outbuilding anyway so in theory could hard wire a couple of 110 sockets, but wether that is much use as will still need a transformer anyway.

I think it would be handy having some 110 tools for when working outside in drizzle etc

Aye think i was put off a lot of battery tools 12 years ago, got a sort of combi set with a battery drill circular saws, jigsaw and repocrical saw, they were a compete waste of time, just no power/grunt or woukld flatten battery very quickly. The drill was pretty good and got a lot of use but eventually batteries wouldnae hold there charge and cheaper to buy a compatible battery strimmer, the most useless tool ever.

But i realise they were not top end tools and battery power has came on massively since then, but still a bit wary of them

Is there any other draw backs of 110, other than the transformer for 'normal' use? I take it exact same performance as the same 240 tool

Got to run power into the outbuilding anyway so in theory could hard wire a couple of 110 sockets, but wether that is much use as will still need a transformer anyway.

I think it would be handy having some 110 tools for when working outside in drizzle etc

Aye think i was put off a lot of battery tools 12 years ago, got a sort of combi set with a battery drill circular saws, jigsaw and repocrical saw, they were a compete waste of time, just no power/grunt or woukld flatten battery very quickly. The drill was pretty good and got a lot of use but eventually batteries wouldnae hold there charge and cheaper to buy a compatible battery strimmer, the most useless tool ever.

But i realise they were not top end tools and battery power has came on massively since then, but still a bit wary of them

Those battery sets are rubbish and I know it's more expensive but buying tools singularly will get you better quality.

An rcd will trip as quick as the transformer will, no benefit if not going on site. And it's a real pain lugging a transformer about.

Rcd will be quicker than the transformer , unless the tranny has a rcd fitted , before any one says they don't have one some do especially on chemical and petroleum plants

Just remember which ever you go for 55v can still be fatal , so as for using it in drizzle ,rain or any were wet would and should be a no

Edited by bullet1747

Good battery kits not are just that, good.

We have some old (10 years) dewalt nicad stuff and it's very good but the latest stuff is a world apart.

Recently added a milwaukee 18v set to the line up.

Combi drill

Impact driver

Recip saw

Torch

Circular saw

And grinder

All for 600quid ish.

Great kit but beware of the cost of adding to it. Sds drill about 500! Jigsaw, extra batteries, multi tool, planer, radio, chopsaw. .....all adds up.

In short realistically in my view 240v is fine for you, 110v probably has some small benefits, battery would be nice but will be a lot more expensive.

Take your pick.

Edd

Really? 110 gets used outside all the time?

Just remember which ever you go for 55v can still be fatal , so as for using it in drizzle ,rain or any were wet would and should be a no

Really? 110 gets used outside all the time?

110 is safer and and once you have a transformer it makes little difference....... RCD supply and 110 ;) is the way to go........ ( that and don't go doing work in your birthday suit, decent site boots and gloves add further protection.....

Edited by HDAV

Every site I work on has 110v mixers working in the rain when H and S rock up and they never bat an eye lid. One single 240 extension reel and major tellings off ensue.

Cordless tools are great but why have the hassle of charging batteries when you can use what's designed for site work ?

I have cordless sds,impact drivers,drills,circular saws and multitools. I also have the same corded in 110 v. Never would I use battery powered if a transformer and lead are usable. its no brainer.

another down side of battery powered is the way heavy use items will eat batteries. not seen a 16v mitre saw, try cutting shuttering ply with a circular saw that's battery powered. Same with breakers. horses for courses

Cheers folks for all the replies.

Being honest i doubt it will really make much difference to me as if on 240 all be throu newly wired rings so RCD protected and often an rcd plug as well.

Think i mibee will go down the 110 route in future or even a mixture, i'll never be on a proper site, but got a bit of a yard there so can see me out doing more big 'hobby' jobs outside, so not worrying about the weather as much would be handy

Think digger sums my opinion of battery tools up well, absolutely brilliant when u need 1, but u are better of with a mains tool where u can and esp so some tools which just suck batteries power. I'd grudge the cash for a real top end battery tool as i really don't need/can't justify it for anything other than a drill

Usually ur 10 mins of finishing a job when the last battery dies too

remember if your going down the 110 route you can't just buy any transformer, you have to match the power output with the tool your using.
A friend of mine melted a transformer using a sds drill all day.
Atb

I take it if i bought a bigger more expensive transformer, 32A it would run a 16A all day no probs and if i ever had a larger/more powerful tool ift would still cope.

Can u get transformers to be hard wired into ur ring circuit? Just thinking t would be worthwhile putting some 110 sockets in workshop/shed when it gets wired. Only be a couple of sockets in each really.

Would i probably be easier/cheaper just permantly attaching some extension cables to walls out of the way so u just plug the transformer in and connect to feed ur sockets/extension cable and that way transformer still mobile.

If you have a yard or workshop then an installed transformer works well, we gave one at work and yellow 110 and blue 16A (240) outlets on the walls in the workshop which work well probably overkill for your needs

http://www.mercateo.co.uk/p/2794E-436(2d)8984/Carroll_Meynell_5kVA_CM5000_FM0_400_Safety_Site_Transformer_400V_ac_55V_ac_Floor_Mounted_Transformer.html?showSimplePage=NO&ViewName=live_gb~showGrossColumn&pk_campaign=SEA_PLA&pk_kwd=Impulstransformator

Transformers are power rated in kva or kw

Edited by HDAV

If you have a yard or workshop then an installed transformer works well, we gave one at work and yellow 110 and blue 16A (240) outlets on the walls in the workshop which work well probably overkill for your needs

http://www.mercateo.co.uk/p/2794E-436(2d)8984/Carroll_Meynell_5kVA_CM5000_FM0_400_Safety_Site_Transformer_400V_ac_55V_ac_Floor_Mounted_Transformer.html?showSimplePage=NO&ViewName=live_gb~showGrossColumn&pk_campaign=SEA_PLA&pk_kwd=Impulstransformator

Transformers are power rated in kva or kw

Does the 400 figure mean that you have a 3-phase supply to it?