First time eating Woodcock

Royboy

Well I managed to get a brace of woodcock today, I didn't roast them the traditional way, I plucked and gutted, seasoned with salt and pepper, pan fryer them then finished them in the oven with rosties, veg and gravy and my god they was

AWFUL ! Not my cup of tea at all ! Far to strong and earthy for me

That's a shame you didn't like the taste of woodcock, but at least you gave it a go.

My preferred option for cooking them is to breast them, pan fry in a little butter for a minute or so and serve them sliced on top of scrambled eggs on toast :drool:

I haven't tried woodcock the traditional way yet, but will one day.

Must admit I'm the same - I cooked one that I'd shot myself and it were 'orrible. As a crosscheck I ordered woodcock at Hix Mayfair a year or so ago, thinking if I didn't do it justice, they would and it were rubbish there as well!!

Guys I shoot with love them - Just a question of palate I guess.

Last time I had woodcock was in the Jugged Hare in London, when I took a client there for lunch.

I wasn't sure if you were meant to pick out the brains from the cooked head that is displayed with it?

I went again there yesterday for a meeting and I had a snipe to start, and that again came with a halved head... are you meant to eat brains?

I did absolutely love the taste of the woodcock meat, had a real flavour to it.

F7EA0DC8-CCFC-4CBB-9663-EC1B9473EFF9-113

I browned it of in the frying pan then straight Into hot oven for 10 mins

I love woodcock, do it similar to royboy above. They need to be a blush pink to be tasty and make sure you rest them after taking out of the oven. Finally, don't forget about the most tasty part...the legs!!! They are so sweet and a little whiter than the breast meat.