Td5 or pickup

Blakloks

My opinion for what it is worth is get a double cab pick up . Much more versatile than a TD 5 and just as good off road . Land rovers can be expensive to keep on the road ,I know I have been there 3 times . Out of interest I saw a TD 5 go through auction last week on a 04 plate for £2,500 it looked a clean old thing ,but I wouldn't have given it house room .

Harnser

Can't fault my old l200.

2003 and cover 150k so any of the much talked about issues are well behind it.

If you are luck enough to get a good one then you are set. Even now I would value mine at 3500 and don't see what more you would get for 5500. It would only do the same job.

Edd

All depends wot and how u use it.

I also think pick ups are pretty versatile motors. Really liking mine the now with an ifor aluminium canopy as so easy to take on/off as needed and u dinae worry about scratching it (unlike the fancy colour coded fibre glass ones)

The other big plus point is ur dogs and carp are in a seperate area so not stinking out ur passenger comparrtmrnt.

I notice it when using my wee van esp if dogs are wet, it soon starts to smell damp, a mate bought a very tidy shogun to replace his pick up and regrets it big time just because the dogs are in the same area so it stinks and gets steamy if u leave them in while u do something else (shopping, blether etc)

Hi, I hope you don't mind me offering my opinion, I've had both land rovers and a Nissan navara double cab. I found the Land Rover far better at off roading as the lack of weight in the back of the pick up tends to make it slide a bit easier in the wet mud, but apart from that the Nissan wins hands down for me, it's comfier, faster, more reliable and an easier bus to live with. I've had mine a few years and it's been faultless. I am unfortunately having to sell mine as we are expecting baby number 4 and I need a 7 seater! (2005 new shape 120k £3000 if your interested!!).

Pick up all day you'll need another 5.5 k to throw into to the td5 on repairs get a pick up you know it makes sense (and i like landy's by the way)

owned mine for 5 years and other than routine maintenance (& the bits the mrs keeps bending) spent the grand total of £550 on it.......... reasonable given what it can do.

I know your dilema, going through a similar one at the moment too. Everything points to a pickup, but theres a real romance with the landy.

Heart says landy - head say pickup.

I guess an older model pick up would probably do similar mpg to a land too?

Yeah kinda thinking the same mate plenty of reasonable pick ups about aswell tho

I had a hilux and it was fine off and on road and the heater worked ok. My biggest gripe would be as a double cap there is not that much room left in the pick up bit and for my dogs it had a canopy, maybe I'm a bit soft but after a cold wet day my dogs are tired after working hard I put them in the back with no chance of getting any warmth.

I now have a td5, load space still an issue, but my dogs are happier even with the poor heating it has also not lost money and I expect increased in value over the 2 years I have had it. Plus every time I get in my 90 it gives me more smiles per mile than sex on a train.

If its any help my old man has a td5. Apart from servicing and bits it doesn't need much. We replaced all 4 hubs, front and rear discs and pads (drilled and grooved discs), fitted a variable turbo and a bigger cooler and jobs a gooden. Last mot I did on it it needed a small patch on the rear chassis leg and a bulb that had just blown. Its at 150k ish and has been over on its side and all sorts :L if you look after it, I will look after you! Just remember, oil is cheaper than metal!