ticket for wrongly spaced reg plate

eddoakley

What a total load of nonsense. Farmers drive round the either no plates on the trailers or if your lucky it might be chalked on a bit if board but then it might not match the vehicle towing it. plod never pulls them up and also the gov is selling reg nos that make words. Talk about money generation. as long as the thing can be read what difference does it make. Most of these things are dreamt up just to keep someone in a job justifying their position in the gravy train. and as far as plod is concerned it's rather pathetic to nail someone for a no plate and yet when we get broken into and thousands of pounds of machinery is stolen they cant help other than say " We'll give you a crime no. you can forward it to your insurance company. still the cuts are biting deeper and deeper so before long they wont really exist. then you will be able to drive round without a No plate of standard letters all day long.

+1

I've run a mini front number plate with motorcycle sized letters for over 12 years with only a few pulls about it. Having a standard sized plate looks awful on my car and blocks wind getting to my intercooler.;-)

I have had a traffic car turn round and chase me at high speed for around half a mile just to pull me about my plate.

It doesn't go down too well with our traffic police friend but as he says he can't be ar£&d doing the paperwork for such a trivial matter when there is real serious crimes being commited on the roads.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why don't they spend some of the money that the DVLA make on these plates on upgrading the ANPR so it recognises the fact that there is 5mm difference in the spacings, they make a lot of money out of these plates and in this day and age they can't get a camera to notice spacings (rubbish), why don't they just stop selling private plates and there will be no need for the police to go around putting tickets on cars and they can concentrate real crime

I really doubt that there are many plates out there that APNR couldn't decipher in milliseconds, also no machine is ever left entirely to its own devices so if and when something comes up that proves problematic then I'm sure there are back up systems in place where a 30 second look by a human will solve the issue.

The real issue is that some will alter things drastically like trying to make a zero look like a D or 11 like an N, putting silly distances between letters is the fault of the person not the DVLA.

The thing is when I see a personalised plate I just think "PLONKER" I dont think wow thats cool. Some of the very early ones witn G36 or something may be different. Generally though its a bit sad.

You see K1NGS on a RR, LAM80 on a Lamborghini, MU57ANG on a Mustang, HRH 1 on anything (my initials :lol::yes: ) or F40 on a Ferrari and think it's sad ?

why don't they spend some of the money that the DVLA make on these plates on upgrading the ANPR so it recognises the fact that there is 5mm difference in the spacings, they make a lot of money out of these plates and in this day and age they can't get a camera to notice spacings (rubbish), why don't they just stop selling private plates and there will be no need for the police to go around putting tickets on cars and they can concentrate real crime

They sell legal plates, people change the spacing etc not the DVLA.

Why play about with the spacing, get the shape of a letter changed, or put a black screw cover to change a letter - because it gets noticed? At the end of the day, it is vanity.

Why should anyone get away with breaking the law? Citing the fact that a shedload of others are getting away with it, or saying the Police should have better or more serious things to do doesn't hack it. If you don't break the law, you don't get stopped or fined.

Problem solved.

You see K1NGS on a RR, LAM80 on a Lamborghini, MU57ANG on a Mustang, HRH 1 on anything (my initials :lol::yes: ) or F40 on a Ferrari and think it's sad ?

Yes I always do, I think its weird that anyone would pay all that money to try and get noticed. Very few are classy, most are just tat in my opinion.

Farmers drive round the either no plates on the trailers or if your lucky it might be chalked on a bit if board but then it might not match the vehicle towing it.

As long as the number is the same as another vehicle in the same ownership, that's OK.

When you see 2 tractors with the same number plate following each other, and they belong to the chairman of the local magistrate bench, that looks dodgy.

Edited by rjimmer

Depends. If he was summonsed for it, then it isn't even a conviction (yet). However, if he was given an FPN for it then he won't have to declare it.

It all depends on the exact wording on the form he was given by plod at the time.

Oh, Edd, you mention a 'badge' to the side of the plate. It can ONLY be one of the flags mentioned on my previous post (page 3 of the thread). If anything else (football club crest, etc) then it would be illegal.

So how about if you had a plate with no flag, or space for one, but 1mm away at the side you had a small perspex plate with a badge on ? Not part of the number plate but you wouldn't know from 6 feet away :good:

Cops would get several thousand pounds if they had a number plate day out on the streets of Leicester.

I saw one near a mosque reading jihad recently - proudly using larger letters than usual too.

Should have reported it as offensive Dave. I would have stopped and rung in from there ................. just out of spite :lol:

Why play about with the spacing, get the shape of a letter changed, or put a black screw cover to change a letter - because it gets noticed? At the end of the day, it is vanity.

Why should anyone get away with breaking the law? Citing the fact that a shedload of others are getting away with it, or saying the Police should have better or more serious things to do doesn't hack it. If you don't break the law, you don't get stopped or fined.

Problem solved.

Why not, If you pay good money for a number plate and all your doing is changing the spacings as the OP has and not altering the letter shape or adding dots etc why is it such a problem, I have 2 private plates neither of which have been altered but I really can't see what the problem is with changing spacings, as long as thats all thats done, why do they make cars that drive over 70mph when police forces know for a fact cars will be driven over the limit, thousands of people get caught speeding every day and police forces make a lot of money out it, this is prob the reason they say you can't alter a plate, because they know a lot of people will and they are going to make more money out of the plate than just the original purchase.

but I really can't see what the problem is with changing spacings, as long as thats all thats done,

It might be complicated for the odd person, but it is illegal. That is the problem.

this is prob the reason they say you can't alter a plate, because they know a lot of people will and they are going to make more money out of the plate than just the original purchase.

On of the main reasons is to aid detection of an offence, not to make money out of mugs. That said, there seems to be no mug shortage.

What the speed of cars has to do with this is anyone's guess.

I would see a silver golf every morning passing me going the other way on the way to work and this golf is about an 06 reg and the bloke driving it has the old style black and silver number plates on it and I have seen it almost everyday for the last two years. I saw it this week and he must have been done because he has decided to fit 2 standard rear yellow number plates to his car ie one on the front as we'll so If you ask me people like him are just taking the **** and deserve to get done.

I would see a silver golf every morning passing me going the other way on the way to work and this golf is about an 06 reg and the bloke driving it has the old style black and silver number plates on it and I have seen it almost everyday for the last two years. I saw it this week and he must have been done because he has decided to fit 2 standard rear yellow number plates to his car ie one on the front as we'll so If you ask me people like him are just taking the **** and deserve to get done.

Did you know its actually illegal to fit new black and white plates even to a vintage car or bike? They can keep their old black and white plate as long as they like but if they are replaced it has to be with a reflective plate. Not that anybody pays the slightest attention to that little piece of legislation :lol: . When reflective plates became law the exemption was only granted for existing plates not existing vehicles.

The same roughly applies to seatbelts, cars made before a certain date don't require seatbelts by law but once they have been fitted they can't be taken out again - supposedly! but how would they know?

Why not, If you pay good money for a number plate and all your doing is changing the spacings as the OP has and not altering the letter shape or adding dots etc why is it such a problem, I have 2 private plates neither of which have been altered but I really can't see what the problem is with changing spacings, as long as thats all thats done, why do they make cars that drive over 70mph when police forces know for a fact cars will be driven over the limit, thousands of people get caught speeding every day and police forces make a lot of money out it, this is prob the reason they say you can't alter a plate, because they know a lot of people will and they are going to make more money out of the plate than just the original purchase.

Because the ANPR system will not be able to "read" that number plate!