ticket for wrongly spaced reg plate

eddoakley

Anyone here ever been booked for having a number plate incorrectly spaced?

Got a ticket yesterday while parked at a service station and wonder if as it is private property I may be able to challenge the ticket/fine.

From what I can see it doesn't matter where the vehicle is and they can book you anywhere but any info would be appreciated.

Funny that when I Google the offence code (ve94135) the first thing that comes up is a forum where someone else had the same ticket, in the same car park issued by the same officer. Bet he's pretty pleased with himself.

I accept that it is spaced incorrectly but does it really matter to anyone other than jobsworths?

Surely there are better things for them to be doing than searching car parks for private plates?

Edd

Who sent you the ticket?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much accepted that I will have to pay it, but still looking of there is a way out lol.

So in answer to some of the questions/point

1- spaced out as ED0 3 OAK

2- there is a badge where a flag could be

3- it was definitely private property, I have checked with the company that owns it

4- it seems that even on private property it's still an offence

5- someone said "if you were in a car park it's assumed that you drove there" (or words to that effect) but I have not got a ticket for what they assume, they could assume that I was drunk and speeding to get there but they can't prosecute me for that!!

Had the plate the same way for ages and not been an issue to the dozens of police behind me on the motorway.

I have several and they are all spaced incorrectly.

Edd

You may get other tickets then!

if you have done something that breaks the law why should you get away with it

colin

So that I don't have to cry into my empty wallet!

😂😢

But seriously if it's breaking the law then so be it, my post was really to check the law. If it's private property is it still an offence. I'm sure anyone would want to check and be 100% before just handing over their hard earned?

Edd

Was stuck on windscreen by police whilst parked at service station.

My main hope in "getting away with it" is that it was private property. Seems that doesn't matter though.

Edd

Private property does matter. But It's kind of like a pub car-park. It's public when the pub is open, but not after closing. And I presume you went into the service station when it was open?

You'll need a evidence/statement from the manager/owner that it was closed when you drove in. And he may have to attend court on the day to state his point. Will he do that?? Also, CCTV, the Police may seize the CCTV to prove his side of the case....

And you'll have to pay the court fees if you're found guilty. Is it worth it, for such a small amount? Especially as it would seem you're guilty.....

Edited by jam1e

But seriously if it's breaking the law then so be it, my post was really to check the law. If it's private property is it still an offence. I'm sure anyone would want to check and be 100% before just handing over their hard earned?

Edd

yes but do you only stick it on your car when it is in private car parks or do you leave it on while on public roads if so then tough,

not saying i haven't do anything wrong i got 3 point's plus fine for jumping red light i put my hands up an coughed up

colin

Edd

Edd

If it was open when you went in and used their services, and others drove it at the same time for various services, it could hardly be deemed "private"

yes but do you only stick it on your car when it is in private car parks or do you leave it on while on public roads if so then tough,

not saying i haven't do anything wrong i got 3 point's plus fine for jumping red light i put my hands up an coughed up

colin

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

If you were charged with speeding when you were not but told that "you must have done earlier or will do later" would you accept it?

If the wording of the offence is such that the private property aspect doesn't matter then I won't complain but if it's like tax or insurance used to be (seem to recall it's different now) in as much as it was an offence to use or keep a vehicle on a highway without but not on private property then it's got to be worth looking into?

Edd

Hi

Just being the devils advocate here

It's a Mot fail ?

Along with many other things so you drive your car to the garage forcourt to put some fuel in it before it's Mot

It fails

You drive it home to fix it with the fail certificate

You fix it

Drive it back again with no tax because you can't get it without Mot

Just a bit .......... Well

Sadly you never had yours booked in at that garage for a mot

Pay up look big

Sell the personalised plates

Use money to buy another gun

Just a thought

Or do they give you a fine if your car fails mot on this ?

All the best

Of

I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

If you were charged with speeding when you were not but told that "you must have done earlier or will do later" would you accept it?

If the wording of the offence is such that the private property aspect doesn't matter then I won't complain but if it's like tax or insurance used to be (seem to recall it's different now) in as much as it was an offence to use or keep a vehicle on a highway without but not on private property then it's got to be worth looking into?

Edd

Surely the question has to be;

Will you be changing all of your wrongly spaced vehicle number plates and using acceptable ones from now on?

People have been prosecuted for having a small flag (English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish) on their number plate, so why don't the authorities act on those who blatantly alter their number pates. I know person who sent a list of illegal number plates to the DVLA and his local police station. According to him, nothing was done about it.

Having the flag to the side of the numberplate is perfectly legitimate, so people don't get prosecuted for it - as long as it is in the defined area.

The problems come when people decide to bodge around their own numberplates to put flags on them, and put them in the wrong area, etc.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

Is the correct answer

Unfortunately I think this is correct and that I will have to pay it.

To answer a few points again

1- no i don't regret posting. But none of you have given me the answer I wanted so 😤

2- no I won't change the others I paricularly like one on one of my vans (sign written Oakley construction) which reads ED 04KLY and it's staying put!!

3- I am still going to sulk when I pay the bill

4- I couldn't "sell the private plates and buy another gun" because firstly nobody would want them and secondly all of my cabinets are over flowing

So...

5- who wants to buy some guns to help me through this time of financial hardship?!?!?!

😃😂

All in good fun and really knew the outcome but I can always hope.

Edd

Unfortunately I think this is correct and that I will have to pay it.

To answer a few points again

1- no i don't regret posting. But none of you have given me the answer I wanted so

2- no I won't change the others I paricularly like one on one of my vans (sign written Oakley construction) which reads ED 04KLY and it's staying put!!

3- I am still going to sulk when I pay the bill

4- I couldn't "sell the private plates and buy another gun" because firstly nobody would want them and secondly all of my cabinets are over flowing

So...

5- who wants to buy some guns to help me through this time of financial hardship?!?!?!

All in good fun and really knew the outcome but I can always hope.

Edd

There is a solicitor round this way called me loophole he is the one you would need to ask

Colin

bluesj, on 28 Jan 2016 - 7:21 PM, said:snapback.png

A service station fore court may be privately owned but it is a public place same as shop car parks, if you on your own drive or in a field at a show it would be different

Is the correct answer

It's quite simple. If the premises was open to the public when you drove in, then its complete. If it's closed to the public then it's not enforceable.

Edited by jam1e

ED 04KLY is pretty damn good. :)

I liked it ☺

Have a few variations and they all look OK when on sign written vehicles but that's my favourite.

Not will try to call solicitor just to check the wording of the offence (he does like to argue with traffic offences as I know from personal experience!) but pretty much accept that it was an expensive call of nature.

Probably wouldn't mind so much if I had been stopped for it but when I find out online that the same ahem...officer... regularly searches the same car park for the offence then it is annoying. Just seems so petty when there are so many other things going on. I pay an extortionate amount of tax and insurance and generally stick to the rules including watching my speed, keeping vehicles in good condition and to get caught out over this seems petty.

Ah well. One of those things.

Edd