ticket for wrongly spaced reg plate

eddoakley

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been happening to motorcyclists for a very long time, but doesn't seem to be enforced as strongly with car plates. I've know the Police in North Wales to have a template in their car to check the size of a number plate. It's the law of the land, live with it or accept the consequences.

It would appear that there is a Bobby around edoakley's way called ***hole and HE is the one who started all of this !

Haha. That's the way I feel. Just seems so petty and you can guess what kind of person he is.

Although I suppose I can blame the Mrs for wanting to buy me a plate. Might tell her the fine is down to her for ordering the plates online!

Can't see her going for that though 😁

Edd

Don't forget DVLA can take the plates off you if they are incorrectly spaced or altered

Now this I did not know!

Any link to info?

Edd

It's quite simple really. DVLA can remove the right to a numberplate, and cancel that numberplate.

You are only what is termed the 'grantee'. DVLA have granted you the right to use that plate, and can remove it at any time if abused.

It is in a statutory order somewhere. I remember as it was drawn to people's attention at the DVLA auctions they used to run, which is where I bought my plate

"Probably wouldn't mind so much if I had been stopped for it but when I find out online that the same ahem...officer... regularly searches the same car park for the offence then it is annoying. Just seems so petty when there are so many other things going on."

Edd

Unfortunately Edd, There is always going to be a few D**** in all lines of work.

There does seem to be a cavalier attitude to law breaking, in respect of personalised plates. The answer would be to get it spaced properly for this and other plates. If the OP won't alter any of them - he can rack up numerous offences.

Personally, I would be wary of saying I had no intention to comply with the law. It could have consequences beyond the motoring side of things.

There does seem to be a cavalier attitude to law breaking, in respect of personalised plates. The answer would be to get it spaced properly for this and other plates. If the OP won't alter any of them - he can rack up numerous offences.

Personally, I would be wary of saying I had no intention to comply with the law. It could have consequences beyond the motoring side of things.

A fair point I suppose. The law is the law regardless of whether I think it's petty. Disregard in this respect could be deemed as a general disregard for the law in other aspects if someone really wants to twist things. However, the fixed penalty notice does not say that I must change the plate only that I must pay for the way that it is, or rather that this particular cop has seen it this way. Does it show a disregard for the law by all the other cops that have seen it but considered it unworthy of action?

Getting a bit deep now.

Edd

Edd - it can be classed as perverting the course of justice. The onus is on you to have correct plates, not the Police having to tell you.

I don't have any strong feeling one way or the other. If they are purely for enjoyment, you could argue that that aren't harming anyone. However, if you smashed into another car on a motorway, sped off, your car couldn't be traced because an ANPR camera couldn't read it and it was subsequently traced, I think you would find yourself in a whole heap of trouble. Why take the risk of losing your plate, your shotgun certificate and a whole lot more.

What about considering this one.>>> of having a white car, and just sticking No Plate spec letters and numbers all over the front (with correct spacing of course!), and paint it Yellow and do the same at the rear with a totally legal numberplate in the middle. That should get you recognised. A bloke along the road got fed up with parking charges in a carpark and stuck the tickets randomly all over the place so that it took the warden ages to find the ticket of the day in amongst the dozens of tickets stuck on the windows. Eventually plod pulled him up and told him to get them off because they were obstructing his driving vision. It took him ages to scrape all of tickets and glue off of the glass.

Edited by fortune

I believe it asks "other than motoring offences" but could be wrong. However I will be sure to check whether it needs to be mentioned.

Edd

Just checked :

From Form 201A (guidance notes)

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/media/124974/201A-Notes-to-read-before-completing-forms-201-or-202.pdf

1. You must not withhold information about any conviction (highlight by police, not me). This includes motoring offences, binding overs, formal written cautions, .... etc.

However, at the end of that paragraph, it does say "Details of parking offences and Fixed Penalty Notices do not need to be declared"

So it has to be declared.

Depends. If he was summonsed for it, then it isn't even a conviction (yet). However, if he was given an FPN for it then he won't have to declare it.

It all depends on the exact wording on the form he was given by plod at the time.

Oh, Edd, you mention a 'badge' to the side of the plate. It can ONLY be one of the flags mentioned on my previous post (page 3 of the thread). If anything else (football club crest, etc) then it would be illegal.

Just to add to the great fun of this whole situation my dog has just eaten the ticket!!

Genuinely she has. I wish I was joking.

I have accepted that the fine will have to be payed. One of those things. I will mention it to my feo at renewal time but it is a FPN and renewal specifically excludes these from things which need to be listed.

And the badge mentioned is the manufacturers badge so that's another rwson they picked it up.

Edd

Just to add to the great fun of this whole situation my dog has just eaten the ticket!!

Genuinely she has. I wish I was joking.

I have accepted that the fine will have to be payed. One of those things. I will mention it to my feo at renewal time but it is a FPN and renewal specifically excludes these from things which need to be listed.

And the badge mentioned is the manufacturers badge so that's another rwson they picked it up.

Edd

As it's a FPN, yes, it doesn't need to be mentioned. However, as you say, you mention it to the FEO at the visit, 'just in case'.

As to the manufacturer's badge, if it is something like this :

http://www.demonplates.com/plates/volkswagen-number-plates.php

even with the 'proper' VW logo, it is illegal.

The ONLY permitted logos are the union flag, or the flags of Wales, England or Scotland, or the EU flag.

Whichever it is, it must be on the left side of the plate, and the size is also strictly limited.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

What a total load of nonsense. Farmers drive round the either no plates on the trailers or if your lucky it might be chalked on a bit if board but then it might not match the vehicle towing it. plod never pulls them up and also the gov is selling reg nos that make words. Talk about money generation. as long as the thing can be read what difference does it make. Most of these things are dreamt up just to keep someone in a job justifying their position in the gravy train. and as far as plod is concerned it's rather pathetic to nail someone for a no plate and yet when we get broken into and thousands of pounds of machinery is stolen they cant help other than say " We'll give you a crime no. you can forward it to your insurance company. still the cuts are biting deeper and deeper so before long they wont really exist. then you will be able to drive round without a No plate of standard letters all day long.